Thread: Unable to import video (tape) to sony vegas studio 11

1. Default Unable to import video (tape) to sony vegas studio 11

I am using Sony Vegas Studio 11 - Build 322. I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC30E using cassette tape. Is it possible to capture/import video from the camcorder into Sony Vegas 11???

You should be able to to capture from the tape when you connect the camera the computer usually recognises automatically. If not, you could select capture video from the File menu.

Is the problem that your computer doesn't see the camera. You a bit vague with your question.

3. Default

My computer does not automatically recognise the video camera. I have tried "capture video" but receive message; "Sony Video Capture has stopped working. A problem caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available." Nothing happens.
    Previously I received a message to download a programme "PMB" which I did. If I go ti file, import media files it only recognises my DVD drive and not the hard drive.
    Obviously the problem is with the camera being recognised by my computer?
    Any suggestions?
    thanks
    Tony

Blog Entries

I thought I'd posted this yesterday ....

Are you connecting via firewire (iLink/1394)? You should be.
    Tim

5. Question

Dear Tim,

I do not understand "connectiong via firewire(iLink1394)". Can you please explain? Thanks Tony

Tim is referring to the thing that Sony call iLink. You have to put the iLink cable in the iLINK (DV) Output on the camera and the other end in the computer firewire socket. Then when the camera is turned on the computer will recognise that you have a device attached you will then be able to use Vegas capture program to capture the footage from the tape off the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adnum View Post
    Dear Tim,

I do not understand "connectiong via firewire(iLink1394)". Can you please explain? Thanks Tony
    I took the time - I suggest you do too - downloaded and read the PDF manual for your Camera.

On page 91/92 your questions are answered concerning what the iLink and 1394 means. Please do the same as I did, and read the manual. It has a lot of valuable and life-enhancing advise.

OK, that outta the way, if you ARE connecting the camera to the PC/laptop AND you are running Win7 you are going to need to get busy with the Legacy Drivers for that 1394 port. It is dead easy, even I did it. You will need to activate the LEGACY driver for the 1394 port. For some unknown reason only known to Microsoft, MS doens't setup the 1394 in a way you and I need - we need the port to be compliant with the driver needed for video capture flow.