Thread: Been given a job to replace 10 year old PC, Help!

Default Been given a job to replace 10 year old PC, Help!

Hi all,

This is my first post here. My good lady's father is an occasional videographer (certainly less than 10 years ago), and has given me the task of making up a new desktop PC for him to do that. I'm more than happy to research the field (as a musician, I understand that side of things when it comes to hardware components, however I am using a MacBook Pro and have lost touch with all things PC)

His system is old, hardware wise he is using a Matrox rtx100 extreme. I can't remember the rest of the specs but you can imagine the ballpark of a ten year old system.

Budget hardware wise is about 1500. He wants realtime transitions/playback if possible (these are his statement not mine!).

Now the other thing, he has always used Premiere 5.1, and knows his way around it. Would this work with Windows 7, and would it be pointless putting on the new build as it would not take advantage of 64 bit architcture and chipsets etc?

I have told him that he may have to jump into a later Premiere to take advantage of the hardware, and there's a likelihood that it wouldn't run with Win7 anyway!

He also mentioned that his matrox card had software which improved the performance of Premiere, apparently letting transitions happen without rendering.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

London, England

Hi there,
    Certainly using the same-again software should help . . . more or less everythihg should be in the right place....However, to check whether it will work, you should find a Premier Forum (Adobe?) [ I don't use that software] and ask there. However, a modern PC will be much faster, even if you have 32-bit program. Again looking at the age it's likely to be 32-bit, but worth checking.
    Furthermore you may be lucky and be offered a bargain "upgrade" which would introduce some new features.

As to the PC, i guess yr budget is suggsting Pro Software and that implies 64-bit - but getting as many processor cores as possible should improve Render times.

Real-time playback - yep many folks say it's possible, but if your timelinme contains many tracks, audios, transitions and video-files off a slow drive you are expecting a lot. Rendering can take its time and the final Project should play just fine, now all the surplus data is stripped away.
    You may also like to check with the Software as to the Graphics card options . . . . most boast they can use the extra hardware to improve Rendering times.
    [There is quite impressive vid on Sony-Creative showing this effect].
    You shouod probably fit a BlueRay burner too, to cover all options.
    As to Ports, Firewire is convenient for older (tape-based) camcorders, but means a PCI card as it's not mainstream anymore. USB3 is the extenrnal spec to go for and several HDD internal SATA drives helps spread Media copies about (although External is a good idea as well).
    eSata looksed to be the way forward, but then USB3 just got better.
    Make sure yr Graphics car supports 2-monitors (all decent ones do) and you have a HDMI output, to show on a big telly.

Hi, thank you for your help. I have started buying some components and have bought the following

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 8GB Two Memory Module Kit x2 16GB

Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 High Performance 750W Power Supply

LG BH10LS38.AUAR 10x Internal BD-RW Retail Kit

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module)

* INTEL Core I7-2600K 3400MHz 8MB Cache LGA1155 Desktop CPU boxed

[FONT='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]PNY GeForce GTX 580 XLR8 OC Liquid Cooled 1536MB GDDR5

Im hoping this hardware will stand him in good stead for a while. I need to buy some hard drives

[FONT='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]
    Should I go for SSD for the boot/OS drive, and a large TB secondary drive? When importing from his DV camera over FireWire, should I import straight to the SSD drive? Is the slower TB drive just for archiving? Do you keep the raw footage stored on the SSD when working on it in your editing software? And the finished footage archived on the TB drives?