Thread: what is the best (!) way to work with 600D's .mov h264 in premiere CS5?

Default what is the best (!) way to work with 600D's .mov h264 in premiere CS5?

Hi, so my understanding is that CS5 manages that H264 natively. But from the information I gather, for heavily modified footage, it's still better to work in something more edit friendly.

so my question is the following
    - given the fact that I usually, modify my footage more or less heavily (saturation, contrasts, filters and whatnot)
    - given the fact that I have an averagely good PC (quad core phenom II, 8Gb DDR3, SATA II drives)

what would be the most efficient (quality wise) way to work my 600D footage with premiere

and this is the bonus question:
    should I swap to vegas (I have the opportunity to get vegas 11) ?

PS: sorry about the "what is the best xxxx?" type of question, couldn't see a way around it. It's still a fairly specific task and there may be a an actual "best" or "ideal" way to handle it. well, you tell me.

If I was you I'd just stick with what you already know unless you are not happy with it. I use Sony Vegas and it seems to work fine with my new Nikon. I haven't tested it heavily but I don't see why there would be any problem with it. I also know of people who shoot with Canons who don't have an issue with CS5 either, this is why I said stay with what you know. If you find that CS5 is struggling when you have done some heavy adjusting then you can make proxy files (I don't know how to do this in CS5) but it can be done.

In Vegas you can just turn down the preview quality to get the footage to play back smoothly or you can make proxy files or what's called dynamic RAM preview. I'm not at all familiar with Adobe stuff but I'm sure it will have similar functions.

thank you
    but the issue here (if any) is that, to my understanding, applying modification will work best on files that are the least compressed. the 600D files are compressed already, in a format that, to my understanding, seems not to be ideal for editing and modifying. I also understand that CS5 is supposed to decode this format natively. but does it decode it for each task? if I apply an effect, it means that CS5 is decoding it, applying the effect and possibly reencode it?

I don't really know, I'm doing some testing right now already, hopefully I figure out the smoothest way to get the most out of my new gear

all those diffrent codecs, formats and whatnot is always something I've struggled with. but I think I need to really get to the bottom of this now and step up my game and understanding of the craft to a more technical level. So yes, I don't like that particular aspect but I need to understand it better, definitely.
    Last edited by hadoq; 10-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.

If I understand you correctly that's the way all NLEs work. They have to decode the footage so you can play around with it then they re-code it when you render it out. There is only one format that is not compressed and that is uncompress AVI all the other have some compression to a lesser or greater degree. The way you know how compressed it is is by comparing the relative files sizes when rendered. There are other factors to consider like number of i frames long GOPs etc. but it's all way over my head.

As a good friend of mine use to say, "suck it and see".

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    As a good friend of mine use to say, "suck it and see".
    that's basically the plan