Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

Default Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

just curious what people's opinions are (was going to put in my other thread but thought this was worthy of its own).

I'm looking into purchasing in the next 4-6 months and until I saw this I was considering 5d mkIII but this thing seems to have much more capability with still fairly good DOF and isn't horrible in low light.

Seriously considering.

Yes, I'm sure it's a great camera but not for shooting weddings. The only draw back I can see for this camera is the battery life isn't very good and you can only charge the battery in the camera.

ya i watched/read that review. why isn't it good for weddings? wouldn't an external battery source work?

I don't believe there is one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    At a day I went to where the Blackmagic camera featured, Holdan a distributor for Blackmagic products said
    "Yes we are aware of the issues with the camera, I.e no external batteries but people wait a second, It's 2k res camera, For 2 grand, with 13 stops of dynamic range...What's the problem?"
    The function for external batteries would merely drive the cost of the camera up.

As things are at the moment it is just not a practical camera for shooting weddings, which is what the OP was looking at doing. I'm not saying it's not a very fine camera but it's just not ready to be a work horse.

I posted this in another thread today but feel it's fitting for this thread.

hahaha pretty hilarious Midnight Blue, but if an external battery source solution does come into play by my purchase date, would it THEN become something worth considering?

I mean, besides that one massive issue, all other minor issues seem to make it a viable option. if i don't go with this i'm pretty set on Nikon D800 or Canon 5D mkIII.

thanks for all the help/replies btw

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Catclaw: An Inexpensive Solution for Powering Your Blackmagic Cinema Camera or DSLR - NoFilmSchool

looks like this could make it much more viable

There's talk of an adaptor from Ikan that will allow the use of existing Canon and Nikon batteries to be used externally with the Blackmagic. Found this video comparing the BM to the Canon 5d Mk111 very interesting

thanks, that was a great video and has definitely helped me out!

i just found this: Switronix Releases Power Solution For Black Magic Cinema Camera

but after that video (and seeing recent battery solutions) I really dont know what would make BMCC a bad purchase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast