Thread: hints and tips wanted VMSv10

Default hints and tips wanted VMSv10

I learnt a few tips from here (er, and maybe forgotten some as well), but I have a Timeline question:
    When Previewing I press the transport keys (or use shortcuts, I know), and the Movie plays with sound, as expected.
    However the timeline sometimes moves off the screen unless I "chase it" , yet other times it goes to the Right and then continues from the left (so you always can see the "current" position). It's as though the cursor has "invisible days" - or am I inadvertenly telling it to go away?

Multi-camera shoots . . .
    This is by way of a colour-correction q. Unfortunately I don't have any m-c material, so I can't do this, but I'm wondering if this is a valid solution.... (to colour correction):-
    Camera 1 on named track "One"
    Camera 2 " " " " " " " "Two" - (etc)
    Track One: you find an "average frame, using the track Mute (or Solo?) and apply a correction, so it's how you like it.
    Track Two: ditto, usiing the same frame (or nearest equivalent)
    other tracks similar.
    You should now have each camera matched up - at least for that scene -.
    By applying the correction to the track, all clips are corrected (e.g. as a "first-pass").

However, I'm wondering if this will work, as I hear that pro's will correct each "take" for each camera . . . At this stage, I'm only correcting for WB - I forget about WB and leave it on Auto - this saves big mistakes the following day (for example), but isn't how a Pro would do things.

I find Sony webinars good, but time-consuminig and some YT stuff is surprisingly good too - although the presentations can vary.

New Software version
    Has anyone yet used VMS v12? As I read the "features list" it appears to have lost the ProTitler and the Particles which were introduced in v11 . . . or are we supposed to "keep-up" with past intros, perhaps? Indeed I'm not that sure that v12 introduces anything that's could be described as a Must-have . . . what do others think?
    Of course what I really want is DVDA S to the updated to v6 - and maybe made a bit easier, since I use it so infrequently (compared with Vegas S), there is a real danger I forget what I did last session, etc. - despite the show me hows - which are brilliant.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.

vid,
    regarding the 'new software version', which btw has no Vegas any more in the name, only Movie Studio Platinum 12 (and Suite), read the Release Notes and you get a fairly good look what's new. Not too time-consuming either. Also pay attention to Known Issues, esp. re the 32- and 64-bit versions and the respective plug-ins. The Suite version has a new NB FX bundle included plus Red Giant Quick Looks. DVDA Studio is not upgraded. I upgraded to MSP 12 Suite. Maybe you could test with the trial version yourself to see if it's worth it to you vs. v10.
    Sony Creative Software - Movie Studio Release Notes
    Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite Product Comparisons

Re the cursor: I've only known this to happen if I interfere with the cursor during playback.

Re working on track level FX : We've all messed up on white balance one time or another, Especially during the pressure of a live event. If all the clips are the same lighting etc. then doing things on a track level is a good idea. If you are shooting a wedding where you would have inside and outside footage you wouldn't be able to mix these on the same track. You could possibly put all the inside the church footage on one track and the outside footage on another track then work on a track level. You would still need to check each individual event on the time line to see if tweaking is needed.

It's very much an individual thing. I never use to work on track level but that was because of a bad habit I picked up when I use to use Pinnacle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's very much an individual thing. I never use to work on track level but that was because of a bad habit I picked up when I use to use Pinnacle.
    I find working at the MediaFX level is particularly useful. Probably becuase I'm often creating many events from the same clip.
    Tim

Thanks guys, my earlier reply seems to have been erased . . . on the subject of Software naming . . I think it means Sony is throwing away a lot of good PR....many folks know of Vegas for video editing and the replacement is very like many other budget titles.

Also, I've followed up the "features" - but mostly it looks like the ProTitler and Particles are not present - which is odd as most Software "grows features" -

Post#4 Tim Stannard, could you give some examples, perhaps? - or are you meaning like different arty effects for a Pop group Promo, perhaps, - so they get some of all the effects as the shots change....

New Questions;
    Vegas Studio v10.
    Titles - keyframed from very small to large (scale-slider), the Text expands onto the screen, but it does it in jerks of just under a second - yet there are plenty of frames there . . . somewhere I read there is a "Smooth" button . . . . but why would anyone want the titles to jerk? - it looks poor, IMHO . . . . .
    (( I use the First Keyframe, then one near the End and the Last keyframe is usually the same again, so there is some static "extra" at the finish, if I want to fade the title.))
    ... is this how others would do it? -
    + I try not to use the Pan/Crop feature, as the motion [for me] is counter intuitive and I usually end up wih a dog's breakfast.

If you want to keep the Cursor in the middle of the screen while it is playing is to hold the "\" down (works in Pro)

You could always zoom out so the timeline does not go off scree, normally it should just readjust the timeline.

See my site for hints and tips, I can also offer remote training, via TeamViewer software (software free, no install required)
    TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Post#4 Tim Stannard, could you give some examples, perhaps? - or are you meaning like different arty effects for a Pop group Promo, perhaps, - so they get some of all the effects as the shots change....
    Sure. Imagine I'm soing a conversation in a pub between two people. I have one master shot and two opposing over the shoulder shots. Whether I've shot this with one camera in several takes or three cameras is irrelavent, there is going to be some tweaking necessary to balance the colours/looks between them. I'm likely to start with the master and flip flop between the different OTS shots, perhaps with the occasional master thrown in and the odd cut-away for good effect.

I could apply correction to each event (and it's a doddle, of coyurse to copy and paste the attributes across similar events.

I could do what you do and put the three different positions on three different tracks and apply the correction at track level. The downside of this is I might have taken three or four different takes of the shots from one position and, for whatever reason, lighting has changed between two takes - therefore different correction is required.

If I apply the correction to the media (ie the take) I know that I cab drop bits of that take onto the timeline wherever I want and the same correction has been applied.

I'll do a rough edit without worrying about colour correction. Then I'll drop a typical sample of each take that I'm going to use (no point working on footage which isn't going to end up in the edit!) on the timeline and I'll apply correction to the media rather than the event or the track (using a reference sample in the preview window, for comparison).

Then my rough edit will hopefully be full of lovely maching shots!

Hope that's clear.

It's just the way i've been working recently - I'm not saying it's right or better than anyone elese's way of doing it, just the way that works for me.
    Tim