View Poll Results: Have you backed up in the last week? Really? Be Honest!

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • I need to do it now. And I will.

4 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a lesson - BACKUP!

Blog Entries

Default Here's a lesson - BACKUP!

There I was, working away at three o clock yesterday afternoon when a little message popped up saying `cannot write file xxx to C temp`. Hmm I though, very strange.... Seconds later the same again..... Hmmm maybe a reboot would solve this niggle....

Rebooted once, went around, twice same again, tried safe mode with prompts.. stopped at iomdisk.sys....

OH BUGGER!

Hard drive down the toilet. Well and truly flushed.
    Data lost. Videos lost. Connection settings, pictures, emails, contacts, programs, installation serial numbers, the list goes on. Every single byte lost.

Had to go to Comet and buy a new laptop. Eight Hundred and Ninety Nine Hard Earned Quid.

Only saving grace is a clean sheet to start from. Yipeee.

Lesson learnt here. How many times do we tell ourselves "must do a back up soon" and then forget about it? We all know what we should do, but do we do it? I didn't and now I have paid the price.

Trust me. BACK IT UP NOW!

Blog Entries

If the data is vitally important, there's always a way to get it back (at a cost).

Blog Entries

Of course. But its just the pain of it all that irritates. I have reset everthing on the new machine from memory, and to be truthful, I really have only `lost` a couple of videos, a few picture folders and some weblinks.

The worst was my daughters pictures from her round the world tour that she had deleted from msn to make room for new. She will be as mad as hell. All her China pics are gone. Fortunatley she is still in Oz, so she cant actually kick me for it (yet).

Its just painful.

Blog Entries

You should be able to get those back too... Worth the expense for the memories.

Thats a b.......r :( TM, sorry to hear it

Blog Entries

I'm trying to be philosophical about it Shiner. Yesterday afternoon my language was blue-er than a very blue thing. But I didn't throw it across the room, so I did show some restraint.

Very odd though, It was like having my arm chopped off being without a machine for a few hours.

Luckily, I bought a brand new Sony desktop machine a few weeks ago and had some of the stuff on there too.

I store all of my editing crap like vieos, render files, audio, everything on my External Hard Drive... I hope that's reliable. It's a 300 Gig and Theres only like 60 Gigs left
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenny The Vegie
    I hope that's reliable.
    Only as reliable as an internal drive (perhaps a little more as it probably doesn't get as hot and might not be stressed as much).

My flatmate forgot to back up stuff (well, didn't know i was going to format and reinstall!) and lost several stories he'd been writing. weeks of work. Ha! He'll learn to backup. Ok, so i felt a little bad...

And when my xbox died, i lost months of work at PGR2, and a couple of other games.

Generally though, i back everything up regularly. Terrified of losing my music or photos. (the only things i actually keep on hard drive).
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrlipring
    And when my xbox died, i lost months of work at PGR2, and a couple of other games.
    X box games are work?

Ooohh, God, I hope my staff don't read that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast