Thread: Feature Length Film Trailer: 'Call of Babylon' (No-Budget Film)

Default Feature Length Film Trailer: 'Call of Babylon' (No-Budget Film)

Hi everyone. Here is the trailer for our feature length film we've been working on this year. Please let me know your thought, thanks.

I could see there has been a lot of work gone in to this trailer, but I could not see what the movie is supposed to be about, in other words what would entice me to see the full movie.

I know as you say its a Budget movie but the scenes that were supposed to show fear by the actors, looked a bit plastic. The scene with the knife at the girls mouth looked more like she was smiling instead of being terrified, a bit fake looking. You could of made the victims look more terrified. The guy with the knife at the end looked to ordinary. It didn't seem to fit in with the tense music sound track.

Good effort though.

Thanks for the comment!

I think the reason why Caption World couldn't see what the movie was about was because the trailer is too long for the purpose of being a trailer, which inevitably means it had too much in it. I think it should be cut down to at least half the current length.

I didn't see the girl smile but I did see that she opened her mouth a little to make it easier for the guy to put it in, anybody would think she knew it was going to happen. You have to look out for these sorts of things as a director. I know it's very easy to miss a subtle thing like this at the time of shooting but when you see it in the edit you should cut it or re-shoot. The viewer will not these little things (well I do) and that could be one of the differences between a win or fail with the movie. It came across as though you are going for gritty realism so it has to really look real or the viewer will fall out of the story and remember it's just a film.

I'm still exited to see the finished product. If it's as good as you other films it will be worth watching.

Thanks for the comment, Midnight!

Blog Entries

Funnily enough i diodn't find the "scared" looks unrealistic, though I agree with Midnight that it looked like the girls opened her mouth for the knife. Having said that, I think that might be a natural reaction, because ny opening your mouth you are moving your mouth further from the knife (keep it shut and it will touch your lips first).

But fundamentally I agree with both CW & MB. I've no idea what the film is about and that's because you've tried to fit too much into it. You appear to have a line or two from four or five different stories shown in a very short space of time with no time for them to sink in. We, the audience, can't keep all of those in our mind. Remember you know all the plots and each line is much more significant to you.

It's clearly a complex plot, but I think you need to cut it down to it's bare bones for the trailer, whilst somehow managing to get across that it's a complex plot.

TThese comments apply to the trailer only. It looks like it's going to be an intriguing and well made film and I'm, looking forward to it.
    Tim

It feels like the tailor doesn't start until 1:30

Opening shot with the tilt didn't seem to reveal anything important and wasn't an attention grabber kind of unmotivated than a dissolve to a profile shot, is it inside the same building from the first shot?

Dissolves: I counted about 35ish give or take a few.

There is about 45 seconds of the same shot composition all closeups and jump-cuts which doesn't flow leading up to 1:30.

Camera shake at 0:48 "tell me what".

The ending shot with a profile view of the person weakens it. That is the grabber the money shot what people will remember the most. This could easily be a 60 second trailer and have a lot more punch. The music is stock which is become more and more common.

Was there any sequences? If so they got buried between the many jump cuts with the same composition.

I'd say its a good start. Something about someone killing someone over something about religion? Not really sure what the plot is.

Thanks for both of your comments. I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say the music is 'stock' but a very talented Australian music composer spent a long time composing these two tracks for the film

Is there something odd about the audio (the dynamic range)? The music near the end is very loud compared with the quietly spoken scenes.
    My opinion of the music is that it feels odd when played over many of the clips. Perhaps this spreading of the music's single theme accounts for it sounding 'stock'. It felt like all the scenes are going to be stangely similar, and may be ultimately dull.

Other than than. A fantastic work. And I look forward to seeing it all.

Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I'm no expert regarding music/sound editing but I do try my best. I think it comes across better in the actual film and people wouldn't find the music sounding 'stock' - thanks again!