Thread: Random crashing of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0

Question Random crashing of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0

Hello everybody,

I am using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0 for some time now and a few days ago, the program became unresponsive while rendering. I had to reboot the whole system, but didn't think much of it. However, ever since then, the program keeps crashing randomly. Sometimes after 5 Minutes of using, sometimes after 2, but never after very long and never during the same command. I get this error message:

Problem Description
    Application Name: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Application Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
    Fault Module: C:\Windows\system32\DivX.dll
    Fault Address: 0x140A5E2C
    Fault Offset: 0x00015E2C

Fault Process Details
    Process Path: D:\sony vegas HD\VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe
    Process Version: Version 10.0 (Build 179)
    Process Description: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum
    Process Image Date: 2010-04-20 (Tue Apr 20) 08:20:46

Now, I see that the problem seems to be DivX. So I uninstalled that, ran CCleaner, uninstalled Vegas, ran CCleaner, rebooted and reinstalled both. But the error still happens. I am really at my wits end right now, I tried the Clrt+Shift+W to not display preview images, I tried resetting all preferences in Vegas, but the program still crashes on me. I don't know what to do. Please somebody help me!

Best wishes and thanks in advance

Nystea

Did you have any Windows updates just before the problem or install any other software or drivers? Do you need updated drivers. Are you using GPU & CPU rendering, if so try turning off GPU rendering.
    Is there a corrupt piece of media on the time line ?
    Is there a huge still image on the time line ?
    Is the hard disk getting full ?
    As a last resort you could try doing a system restore to a point just before you started having trouble.

These sorts of problems are very difficult to pin point the above are just a few random ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Did you have any Windows updates just before the problem or install any other software or drivers? Do you need updated drivers. Are you using GPU & CPU rendering, if so try turning off GPU rendering.
    Is there a corrupt piece of media on the time line ?
    Is there a huge still image on the time line ?
    Is the hard disk getting full ?
    As a last resort you could try doing a system restore to a point just before you started having trouble.

These sorts of problems are very difficult to pin point the above are just a few random ideas.
    I didn't have any updates and as I said, it happened right in midproduction, after a crash of Vegas, without me installing anything new.
    There are no corrupt pieces in the timeline (as fast as I can click through them in the time I am given >,<
    The hard disk still has about 30GB of free space.
    I now pinpointed it down to one project. The one Vegas crashed first with seems to cause the trouble. If I delete it from hard drive,Vegas runs fine. It is annoying to see all my work down the drain, but I rather start anew then loose the whole program. I guess there is nothing to be done. >.<

Thank you Midnight Blue for your fast reply. ^.^

It's a real bummer when the project file becomes corrupt. You can sometimes, if you can pin point the area where it's happening, just take out a section of the project and save the project like that. Then you only have to re-do the section rather than the whole project. BUT finding the right section isn't easy if the rendering doesn't always stop at the same place.

At least you managed to find the problem.