Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web series about mixing drinks

Default Web series about mixing drinks

Hey guys, I've been here for a little while but just recently registered. This is an awesome site for filmmakers! So I decided to start a web series about a week ago about making shots and drinks for cheap. I know there are videos of bartenders (btw I am not a bartender) making drinks but I find a lot of those vids boring. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

2. Default awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgson316 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been here for a little while but just recently registered. This is an awesome site for filmmakers! So I decided to start a web series about a week ago about making shots and drinks for cheap. I know there are videos of bartenders (btw I am not a bartender) making drinks but I find a lot of those vids boring. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

OK, i think it will bring me more fun into my dull work time!

(VeryPDF concentrates on software development in PDF tools, business document processing tools, mobile applications, and related online service.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-27-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spam link

bbs.pdf11980

Please don't use the forum to promote your self/website.

Blog Entries

I can see what you're trying to do here, but I'm not sure it works.
    Your humour is there, but it's not really snappy enough to make me want to coem back and watch another for the humour.
    On the other hand, if I wanted a series on making mixing drinks, I'd get frustrated because of all the incidental bits getting in the way.
    Unfortunately it rather felt like a mish-mash of a bit of instruction followed by a bit of humour and it didn't really combine (for me) in the same way as a show by a TV Chef might.

On more technical matters:
    A constant variety of shots = good.
    A constant variety of sound levels and sound recording quality = bad.
    The tracking shot along the drinks for the beginning as a good idea but very jerky= looks cheap.
    I think you should have the name of the drink appear on the screen.
    You have a variety of fonts and the manner in which they appear on the screen = bad.

It's probably worth pursuing, but I think it needs a more consistant style.
    Tim

Pretty much agree with Tim on the technical side of things. I like that you added humour it gave you a bit more of a personality but the delivery wasn't quite right, the material was also a bit lame.

I think you could purse the idea and polish it up. Keep the sound good or it won't work. That means get the mic close to you. Use either a shotgun mic just out of shot or even a cheap lav (clip on) mic would be better than the camera mic.

I agree, you got the cheeky look for humour, so use it more.

Also find a better location than your mums kitchen?

A tropical beach bar with the bottles hung above and in front of you?

Ok maybe the corner of your local bar?

I agree Stripe. Would make a perfect green screen project.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can see what you're trying to do here, but I'm not sure it works.
    Your humour is there, but it's not really snappy enough to make me want to coem back and watch another for the humour.
    On the other hand, if I wanted a series on making mixing drinks, I'd get frustrated because of all the incidental bits getting in the way.
    Unfortunately it rather felt like a mish-mash of a bit of instruction followed by a bit of humour and it didn't really combine (for me) in the same way as a show by a TV Chef might.

On more technical matters:
    A constant variety of shots = good.
    A constant variety of sound levels and sound recording quality = bad.
    The tracking shot along the drinks for the beginning as a good idea but very jerky= looks cheap.
    I think you should have the name of the drink appear on the screen.
    You have a variety of fonts and the manner in which they appear on the screen = bad.

It's probably worth pursuing, but I think it needs a more consistant style.
    Thanks a lot Tim! I appreciate the honest criticism. The tracking shot I used was compressed while the rest of the footage was uncompressed. I knew it was going to be a problem but didn't have time to reshoot it... that's why it looks like 14fps shit haha. This was actually a wild episode for me (as far as the physical humor goes) but I decided to go through with it anyways b/c, well, you live and you learn. I definitely need a new audio recorder. As for the font... I just need to get better at it. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I agree, you got the cheeky look for humour, so use it more.

Also find a better location than your mums kitchen?

Ok maybe the corner of your local bar?
    Thanks for the constructive criticism! I shoot this in my kitchen b/c it kinda goes with the theme of the show. The show is called Cheap Shots b/c the drinks and shots are supposed to be inexpensive (Everything except the production, I hope lol). Like I said, I'm not a mixologist but I don't think you have to be one to know how to make a drink at home. It would be great to do in a bar or pub but that's not feasible at this time. Thanks again for watching the video!

I'm going to try and correct some stuff for my next episode. Would it be ok if I posted the next one on here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgson316 View Post
    I'm going to try and correct some stuff for my next episode. Would it be ok if I posted the next one on here?
    It's not only OK, it's expected!
    But please follow the forum rules of one video per thread and post it in a new thread.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast