Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Proof Protection For Camera's Don't Work i.e. Condensation !!!

1. Default Water Proof Protection For Camera's Don't Work i.e. Condensation !!!

Hey guys, I just thought that I'd share this with you all......

Basically I coverd an event yesterday in Manchester and it just so happens that on the day there was Torrential Rain. Now I thought that I was really good because both my two cameras had waterproof protection on them so I did think.

I hardly used my Nikon D90 as I only really use that to shoot stills anyway, but spent most of the time shooting Video on my Sony A1E. Now I did notice that under my waterproof cover of the Sony A1E then that condensation was starting to heavily form. As a matter of fact the condensation got so bad that my Sony A1E camera just would not switch on from effects of the Condensation, so that was the point where I had to stop shooting.

Later on in the day when I got home, I discoverd that my Nikon D90 refused to switch on too.... Then when I tried to switch my Sony A1E back on again it complained to me and told me that it had a "condensation" problem and to leave it for at least an hour. When I went back to the Sony A1E camcorder it was fully working again (but I can still see the damage from the "water marks" in the viewfinders lcd screen.

As for my Nikon D90 then Nikon has asked me to send it back to them for repair........

I'm putting this all down to being part of the course ........ but guys "condensation" is a big massive killer for your cameras.... I'm not sure if there is covers on the market that prevent the condensation from building up in the first place ?

Regards

Strober
    wwww.strober.co.uk

Sorry to hear about your cameras been damaged.
    The only water proofing I've ever used on my camera is an umbrella.

A sad tale:(
    I assume 'waterproof' does not mean 'airtight'. If it does, then the condensation has come from the air inside the bag before it was sealed. If it is not airtight, then perhaps it needs to be more fully open; to assist airflow and evaporation?

Big problem for sure. Are your covers the closed type? Try to add silicagel bags inside your covers next time.

WHAT water proof covers did you use, I use "RAIN COVERS" and have never had a problem at all, they are open ended so there can not be a condensation problem.

The problem arises when people use the cheap plastic bag covers.

The BBC and all outside broadcasters use rain covers, they are NOT water proof they are to help in rain and showers.

The covers in 1, 3 and 4 are the worst you can get

I use number 2, open ended, fits most cameras NO condensation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Big problem for sure. Are your covers the closed type? Try to add silicagel bags inside your covers next time.
    That would not recact fast enough for this

7. Default

Guys it will be so much simpler if you just watch this video that I've made. Again I've strongly learnt my lesson and that I am paying for it. I just hope others can learn from my mistake too.... Cheers Strober

Water Kills My DSLR (Nikon D90)

Quote Originally Posted by Strober View Post
    Guys it will be so much simpler if you just watch this video that I've made. Again I've strongly learnt my lesson and that I am paying for it. I just hope others can learn from my mistake too.... Cheers Strober

Water Kills My DSLR (Nikon D90)
    First of all your video was NOT in your initial post.

Second, being a "forum" where people "discuss" whwe were simply "commenting".

Your comment "Guys it will be so much simpler if you just watch this video that I've made" sounds as if we should not comment. OUR comments were also as advice to others.

You say in your video that if you were "a hard core photographer, and the D90 was your only camera" well 1. NO "hard core" photographer would use a D90 or D40 which you have and certainly not have just ONE camera. Also they would use either a Nikon D4 or Canon EOS 1D IV or just below that.

Oh and in your videoi (don't like the subject matter of the background, inappropriate), you talk about "rain" not condensation.

Finally NO camera manufacturer states "water proof" even for the top end, they clearly state "weather resistant"..
    Last edited by JR1; 09-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Like all warranties there are exclusions as pointed out by the manufacturer as in this case. Its not a fault with the camera.

It is worth remembering that electronic apparatus of any description stored in a warmly heated dry place then taken outside into a lower temperature environment will in most instances develop sudden condensation as warm air is trapped within the instrument cools rapidly. If this is detected it should be returned to its natural stored environment immediately and the condensation allowed to disperse naturally.

As a precaution leave the apparatus somewhere inside first where the temperature is near the same as the outside for an hour or so allowing for it to equalize within the camera.

There was plenty mention of condensation in the video I watched, and the subject matter was the actual footage he was filming at the time it happened. Seemed like a real misty rain, which would have to be the worst possible.

Thanks for this lesson, and thanks for the advice captionworld.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast