Thread: My Basketball Video

Default My Basketball Video

Hey, I'm Kyle and I'm relatively new to editing, but I made this video of me and my buddy and I was pretty happy of how it turned out. I would like some constructive criticism, but don't be too hard on me. BTW I'm aware that the saturation is a little high in some of the clips, messed up a bit on that. Thanks a lot!

Heart Of Courage - Dunk Edition - YouTube

Can't figure out how to embed, so bare with me haha
    Last edited by KyRo; 09-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

I agree that some of the shots are over saturated. I wonder why you didn't deal with it if you knew it wasn't right before you up loaded the video to YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I agree that some of the shots are over saturated. I wonder why you didn't deal with it if you knew it wasn't right before you up loaded the video to YouTube.
    When I started editing I looked up some tutorial videos and a few videos said put your saturation higher, so I put it up on all of the clips. All of the clips have the same saturation in the video, but some of them turned out worse. They all looked the same to me in the editor, so I'm not sure what happened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KyRo View Post
    When I started editing I looked up some tutorial videos and a few videos said put your saturation higher,
    Either they are bad tutorials or they suggested situations when to do this. The heavily oversaturated look rather spoiled the video for me, whereas I quite liked the monochrome and the "Sin City" effects.

By far the best bit for me was when you let the ambient sound of the ball crashing through the basket and subsequent rattle cut through. It was a shame you repeated it in a way - I appreciate it shows that the first time wasn't an accident, but just once would have been so cool.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Either they are bad tutorials or they suggested situations when to do this. The heavily oversaturated look rather spoiled the video for me, whereas I quite liked the monochrome and the "Sin City" effects.

By far the best bit for me was when you let the ambient sound of the ball crashing through the basket and subsequent rattle cut through. It was a shame you repeated it in a way - I appreciate it shows that the first time wasn't an accident, but just once would have been so cool.
    Really appreciate the help. I guess I'll learn from the saturation mistake, although I wish I had made that mistake sooner so I didn't do it on this video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KyRo View Post
    although I wish I had made that mistake sooner so I didn't do it on this video.
    You'll never learn a lesson as well as you will by making a mistake. Consider it a big benefit, rather than a disappointment.
    Tim

Cool video Kyle! You are sort of hindered in the color correction and color grading (even though the sin city style scene came out well) by the camera you have. Something that could help this type of video is to deinterlace the footage. Deinterlacing will make the slow motion and sped up footage look a lot smoother, less choppy, and remove that double vision. Also what I've learned is it is better to upload anything rather than to upload nothing. Good job!