Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Antebellum Cover "We own the night"

Default Lady Antebellum Cover "We own the night"

Shot this for some friends, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. I didn't get as much variety of shots as I would have liked but here is what I came up with. Comment and like please!
    Lady Antebellum "We Owned The Night" Cover - YouTube

this is the first time I've ever done anything like this

Who are you trying to kid This was a good job. I liked the creative close up shots, well timed and edited. Looking forward to your second attempt. Excellent video. Well done!
    Was that Simon Cowel hiding behind the Guitar?

An excellent performance from the singers. I thought you captured it well, just a couple of small wandering focus issues on some of the close-ups but that is a very minor point. The sound was very good also. It looks like all the car videos you have done has given you the skills to make videos in other areas.

Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    this is the first time I've ever done anything like this

Who are you trying to kid This was a good job. I liked the creative close up shots, well timed and edited. Looking forward to your second attempt. Excellent video. Well done!
    Was that Simon Cowel hiding behind the Guitar?
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It looks like all the car videos you have done has given you the skills to make videos in other areas.
    Very well done.
    Yeah seems that way thanks!

There was one thing which I thought was a bit odd. At the beginning when you show each of the singers with a title, there is no sound. I thought my computer had gone wrong or YouTube was playing up. Just a bit of ambient might have been good Or even better show the credits at the end.

It's still a very good performance well captured.

The sound is really good! Cristal clear! Liked the shots too, the well balanced lighting.... I few zoomings were too fast perhaps? As MB pointed, the mute beginning was really strange.... I also thought that something here was wrong. Good job man!

Blog Entries

It looked great because you'd posed them well against the background and used teh lights well. A nice warm colour with plenty of contrast. The singing was spot on.

I'm not sure about the focus and zooming - sometimes I thought it was a deliberate attempt to be "arty" and other times I thought it was because you'd just missed and din't have a better cut to edit in. So I'm afraid that for me it sat uncomfortable in between. Incidentally these issue virtually went unnoticed by me until I followed your instructions to view in HD, which I did, full screen and the focus issues became more apparent.

Being hyper critical, I thought the three shot was not as well composed as it might be. The two girls were a bit close to the edge of the frame, with too much gap between them and the guy for my liking. 1:24 shows a similar problem with a two shot. Contrast these with 2:01 and 2:02 which shows a two-shot and then a three-shot where the subjects take centre stage - much better. But overall I thought you had a great selection of different shots. I liked the way you continued to build interest by adding different shots into the mix as teh song progressed, like waiting untill near the end before ading the moving camera shots. Well thought out and edited.

I disagree about the sound being crystal clear though. It was obviously recorded on decent kit with a crisp sound and no real background noise, but either during recording or in post you've overcooked it. just listen to the clipping from 2:43 onwards (examples occurs earliers as well). Horrible! Less noticable is the fact that we suffer some popping/wind noise (eg 0:40) which obviously was captured when recording.

Nevertheless, this was a very enjoyable watch/listen and not just because of the content. You did a good job, just not perfect.
    Tim

Ohh, you made me watch it(or listen!) again..... Sound is good to me, much above average for sure! The guy gets his nose too close to the mic sometimes (puff, puff), but the silence is silent.... I´m not experienced with sound, so the much above average sensation was really good. Yes, I got the extra DBs now....

TIM, I would buy a book written by you! Really! Did you ever thought about writing one with all this that you know and teach us here? Not another blog on the web... A practical guide, a field guide.... 100% practical!! I just got the app from Still Motion that, in theory, would be something like a field guide, with lot´s of advices and tips....but it´s not really good. Or maybe they expect us to buy extras and extras..... :(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Did you ever thought about writing one with all this that you know and teach us here?
    Hah! That would be a book of plagiarism from here, other books and talks at the club with only waffle and typos contributed by me!
    I wrote loads more but it was way off topic
    Tim

Ohhh, the modesty of the good ones....

I used to ask my students on the first day at school "So, who are you?".... After those awkward moments and silences, I used to tell them: "Well, let me help... you are the sum of what you did, or did not do in your life, from the moment you were born until right now. And tomorrow, you will be what you are today + what you do (or do not) do today" . Good speech for a bunch of teenagers entering high school.... But hey!!!! What is a book if not a compilation of us, day by day??? Here is an idea for the title: Videomaking Field Guide: 100% practical advice for better images and sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast