Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony NEXVG20HB - opinions please

Question Sony NEXVG20HB - opinions please

Saw this guy advertised today, RRP $3k, but now $1600 - I'm tempted, but thought I'd ask you pro's what your first impressions are?

Normally I would spend half a day getting reviews, but would still not be wiser than I would be asking you guys. If anyone can spare 5 minutes to peruse, I would be grateful.

Looks great, specs seem really good, and interchangeable lenses in this price range seems almost untrue.

Merchant: http://www.videopro.com.au/p-4269-so...ex-vg20hb.aspx

Review and deeper specs: Sony NEX-VG20H Interchangeable Lens Camera Review | Videomaker.com

Thanks

You may find this discussion useful.

No link midnight? I'll search the forum.

Didn't expect it to be already discussed - so many cameras in this world lol

Just click on the words "this link".

Oops thanks mate - life has never been the same since they started making us use these low energy lightbulbs - I can't see a damn thing

Well that was a hell of a read, started off negative, but in the end everyone had good, (and very complex) things to say. Now I just have to convince the girl that it's worth an extra $600 than I was going to pay for a Panasonic to get myself 'some cool glass' (apparently)

Thanks for the link.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Now I just have to convince the girl that it's worth an extra $600 than I was going to pay for a Panasonic to get myself 'some cool glass' (apparently)
    Just tell her how it'll show her true beauty even more clearly.
    Tim

Negatives have a tendency to be right . . and I seems to me that you are buying a NEX5 with touch-screen and non-electric zoom, which being rather large upsets the balance.
    Currently I use a non-touchscreen NEX5 and even with a 3:1 zoom, it's perfectly Ok, esp when fitted to a decent tripod.
    -Yep, it lacks many nice features but it was a cheap way to achieve interchangable lens compatability, although no-one (yet) make an XLR adaptor for the silly "port", which is a pity.

I wonder if the dealer will have a new model soon and is clearing stock? Need to ask...

Lol Tim, think I may end up having to go earn the money.

Vidmanners, the link discussion was dated this year, the last post was August, so I am happy that the camera is current.

And as we know, there's always going to be a better one around the corner.

The main negative was the lack of a gain control, which they possibly may do next model, but since I don't know what that is, this camera is obviously far too good for me lol.

I figure this cam is far enough ahead of me already, so I can dismiss the couple of negatives the experts managed to find.

I never thought I'd get this quality, these things were 3-3.5k when I started looking a year ago.

Hi Stripe,
    Yep it's possible there is a new Sony "round the corner" - but the Dealer may know of something from Canon/Pana /etc. - But the original version of this camcorder was never 3K3-5K - as I recall; it was available about 1K7 - but compared with the NEX5 at 499 (with the pancake lens too), I couldn't see the added value. That long lens isn't electric zoom and unbalances the camera according to Reviews..
    Is that your experience?, you say you have one. I have a 200mm lens and adaptor - OK it's manual and not elegant, but produces sharp video-images. On a really solid tripod.

Others may disagree, but I equate "Gain" with ISO - but I set my NEX5 to aauto and then push the Compensation. Typically I run at (minus 0.7) - so there is a bit more detail in the highlights, as I am not concerned with shadow detail.
    I have the same sensor (it seems), so maybe the processor is somewhat the same too.

The big advantage as I read it, it the sound-system . . . but at that price I'd be investing in external mics . . . so I's probably consider something else.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-26-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast