Thread: Script-writing and pre-production layout tools/programs?

Default Script-writing and pre-production layout tools/programs?

Hi everyone,

I'm only 16 years old. I know I have a lot to go, but I really, really think that I have a big future in the directing business due to my plans, goals, visions and dreams. I know that there are many people out there trying their best as well but I was wondering if someone here could give me a little help.

• I'm looking for something to help me write out my script so it looks professional. I'd be happy if someone could give me a good layout plan or even a program that does this for you.
    • Also, I'm looking for some kind of story-board planner. Again, it could be something physical like a notebook or a whiteboard, but if there's a program, that would be awesome.

Thanks for listening to my shpeel about 'directing'. I just want to get off on a good start. Thanks in advance!

Sites like SimplyScripts - Free Movie Scripts, Screenplays and Transcripts have professional scripts available to download. Have a look at one or two to see how they're constructed

There's a free demo here from the industry standard Final Draft Final Draft Demo

Quote Originally Posted by shiner View Post
    There's a free demo here from the industry standard Final Draft Final Draft Demo
    Thank you so much, I bought the program and it's wonderful.

London, England

Join a filmmaking club - there is a shortage of scriptwriters who will turn-up scripts on time.

It's a very competitive industry and relies a lot on who you know (at least until you Gross $1m). This is because "reliabilty" is the most important quality - when the cost of each hour is serious money.

Whilst having your script "professionally laid out" ( Since it's easier to read), also, there is an old saying "Content is King" - that a good story will beat everything else, so you might think of writing short-stories and have them published in a local magazine/paper.

Good luck.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I've used the free Celtx for a couple of years (actually I no pay a monthly subscription as I find it useful for collaboration but for standalne it's free, and well respected)

The Netherlands
    Blog Entries

For those still interessted in using Final Draft, you might want to start learning here (link).

Birmingham, West Midlands, UK

Also as an aspiring Director, it's important that you understand scene blocking with cameras in mind. Have a look at this app that's designed to help you block scenes: Hollywood Camera Work - Shot Designer - Shot Designer

Last edited by slinkyproductions; 05-19-2014 at 04:34 PM.