Thread: slow motion advice

Default slow motion advice

Can anything be done to produce slow motion effects via software

thanks

Yes, which software in particular do you have access to or were you looking to get something like Twixter.

You know, what annoys me most is when you get someone ask a question but don't give any details, and expect others to be mind readers :(

Sorry.

Panasonic HDC HS300
    Sony MS Paltinum 12 having moved over from but still have Pinnacle Studio 15 HD Ultimate

Thank you

If you right click on a video even on the time line and select properties. You will see at the bottom of the box an item called "play back rate", which will let you speed up and slow down events by changing the 1.00 (normal speed) to for example, 0.50. This will slow down the video by half. You can experiment with different speeds.

Thanks, just tried that, good, will remember that, it appears ok to reduce it to about 75%, but then on as there is not enough sampling it looks like a flick book.

Am I stuck with either buying a camera that can record at 100fps (!) which I can not afford or not bothering.

Thanks for the reply.

post script.

What you suggested will be great for daily use.

I wanted to slow down say a slow rotating drill even more.

I know shooting at 25fps can be limiting for slow motion. Even shooting at 50fps will help.

There is another way to alter the play back speed of an event, if you press the Ctrl key and place the mouse cursor on the right hand edge of an event the cursor will change (squiggly line)and then when you drag the end of the clip to the right, it will slow down or to the left speed up.

How fast (revolutions per minute) would your drill be operating at? And how accurately can the speed be set? And how constant the speed?
    For example, a drill at 3,000 RPM turns 50 times per second. In theory, the results of recording at 25fps would make the drill appear to be stationary. If so, then a drill at about the same speed (or multiple) might give the impression that the drill was actually turning slowly.

Thank you

Wnen I chose function from the front of the camera, and the shutter states 1/25th, aup to 1/250th, is THAT what I should be looking at

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Wnen I chose function from the front of the camera, and the shutter states 1/25th, aup to 1/250th, is THAT what I should be looking at
    DISCLAIMER: I'M NO EXPERT ON SHUTTER SPEEDS AND SUCH (i.e. the warranty is 5 minutes or 15 feet from your computer)

If you are trying to change the shutter speed (which governs how long the shutter is open for each frame) then the answer is "yes". I think you have digested TimAndrews last comment and determined that if a) your drill turns at 3000 RPM (50 RPS) and b) your shutter is open for 1/25th of a second, ipso facto each frame will consist of a gigantic blur due to the fact that the drill will make two complete revolutions while the shutter is open for a single frame. If you set the shutter speed to 1/250th of a second, then the drill will still make 0.2 revolutions while the shutter is open, but it probably won't be as bad. Ideallly you want something like 1/1000th of a second per frame and a gigantically monstrous amount of light to avoid under-exposing the whole shlamozzle.