Thread: Gateway gamer pc for editing?

1. Question Gateway gamer pc for editing?

Hey, guys! Would this gamer pc work well with something like Sony Movie Studio softwares? I know it wouldn't be THE ULTIMATE!!!!!! But, as far as I can see it's up to par with specs. The only thing I'm concerned about is it says video memory is 1GB. IDK exactly what that means in the gamer's world, hopefully it doesn't mean something like that's the amount of video you can store on it... lol, idk! I'm a keen editer, but definately nothing when it comes to knowing actual computer language. Except the space-bar, I know what that is! LOL!!! But, this Gateway has Windows 7 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M, and 4GB RAM if I'm looking at it right...! If this'll work pretty well, I'd be happy with it. And I found one used for only $700, sooo...... I'm not looking for THE ULTIMATE EDITING PC!!!!! Just something that'll do a good job with the Sony softwares. Hey, I'm currently editing (and typing here) on a Windows Vista, SP1 with 3GB RAM and Vegas 9. Not knocking our computer too much (or Vegas 9), but it wouldn't be hard to beat this thing as far as editing goes. LOL!!! Thanks, guys! LMK!

Newegg.com - Gateway P-7908u FX Edition NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I always had the problem with sony software to make him use all my RAM memory. No matter what i can not exeed 2 GB of used RAM in IOsurogate (the expoting process) when exporting.
    I will give you my configuration- its pretty much enough for working with Sony software.

CPU AMD 4x3,2 GHZ 64 Bits
    8 GB RAM
    Ge Force GT 430 - 1 GB HD
    4 TB HDD
    Windows 7

I had 4 GB of RAM before and when i put another 4 i was not able to feel the difference in Sony Vegas. I felt it on After effects.

3. Default

So, are you basically saying that I could use "less than 4GB RAM, or at least that but 8GB doesn't make a difference"? And, so the software won't use your full 4GB when exporting/rendering?

Quote Originally Posted by CR213 Productions View Post
    So, are you basically saying that I could use "less than 4GB RAM, or at least that but 8GB doesn't make a difference"? And, so the software won't use your full 4GB when exporting/rendering?
    Yes, Sony Vegas itself can run using 300-400 MB's of RAM. if you have 1 GB and running Win 7 you will be able to do basic SD editing. The basic need of RAM comes when the exporting starts. The speed of the exporting depends of the compression you select when you render. For example, Avi with PAL DV preset will export much faster than MPEG2 with 720 HD preset - because the PAL DV AVI preset is uncompressed video.
    2 GB for sd editing - perfect ! 4 or more for HD - perfect ! Its more important what processor do you have, you wil l do good with 2cores and great with 4 or 8 cores. From my experience the video card is not so important.

Answer to your question - from my experience, no, it does not use the full capasity of the RAM if more than 4 GB

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maximquaye View Post
    Yes, Sony Vegas itself can run using 300-400 MB's of RAM. if you have 1 GB and running Win 7 you will be able to do basic SD editing. The basic need of RAM comes when the exporting starts. The speed of the exporting depends of the compression you select when you render. For example, Avi with PAL DV preset will export much faster than MPEG2 with 720 HD preset - because the PAL DV AVI preset is uncompressed video.
    2 GB for sd editing - perfect ! 4 or more for HD - perfect ! Its more important what processor do you have, you wil l do good with 2cores and great with 4 or 8 cores. From my experience the video card is not so important.

Answer to your question - from my experience, no, it does not use the full capasity of the RAM if more than 4 GB
    Ok, thanks! I getcha now! I've been noticing lately how much it compresses my vids. They're starting to look closer to SD, but it plays back as "720p" on youtube... I need to experiment with those settings some, what little I can with V9... lol