Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Video Promo

Default Wedding Video Promo

Hello Everyone,

I've recently begun filming weddings for some extra cash and I would like some critique on a video promo I just created. Since making this promo and it passing through the YouTube / Facebook community I have booked 6 weddings thus far since August (last month). I'm slowly getting better and better at my timing, colouring, audio, etc. But I would like to speed up the learning pace a little bit. I've researched on-line for tips and tricks and some were great, and some were not so great. So what better way to get some pointers than to ask the pros, everyone always has good tips and tricks here so don'y be shy, I'm not easily offended; so give it to me and make me a better videographer! Thanks!

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by BrockT View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've recently begun filming weddings for some extra cash and I would like some critique on a video promo I just created. Since making this promo and it passing through the YouTube / Facebook community I have booked 6 weddings thus far since August (last month). I'm slowly getting better and better at my timing, colouring, audio, etc. But I would like to speed up the learning pace a little bit. I've researched on-line for tips and tricks and some were great, and some were not so great. So what better way to get some pointers than to ask the pros, everyone always has good tips and tricks here so don'y be shy, I'm not easily offended; so give it to me and make me a better videographer! Thanks!

Brock

I like your filming ! Very romantic and shot with really good camera (i guess its some DSLR)
    There are some things that grab my attention.

- first shot with flower - why have you kept the pan at the very last frames ? (where the camera is going up) and then a hard cut to the persons ?
    - 00:16 - this would be your ideal first shot - maybe followed by few details, including the flower. When making a weeding video,try telling a story. Make your shots connected.
    - 00:19 - again,just before the hard cut you left the shot shake - why ?
    - 00:30 - great shot !
    - 00:42 - celebrate life - this is not a good shot - you have some black frames and again not cut correctly. When trying to visualise such things you either need a pretty stable camera or shoot it by angle so you wont have so much pan
    - 00"50 - good shot
    -00:59 - too long
    - 01:10 - good shot - what you might to do afterwords is to give a close shot of her eyes while doing makeup,again , make a connection between shots
    - 01:20 - i know what you tried to do here - follow the music. But its not working like that - its confusing to change so quickly 3 locations - 3 different things. It will work if you show the bride in 3 angles- 2 close ups or details and then the one at 1:25
    - 02:00 - great shot !
    - 02:17- bad composition of shot - and left black frames
    - 02:22 - a good idea is to make the sky glow
    - 02:27 - bad composition
    - 02:30 - great shot !

I am not in the business with weeding but this is what i have noticed, i hope i helped !

3. Default

I agree with the several points made by the previous poster. However, I will say that overall, you have some good shots. But here are a few of my observations.

1. Buy a tripod or a steadycam system of some sorts. Shaky shots are unacceptable in a professional video shoot.
    2. You HAVE to storyboard. Even in these "mash up" situations, know what you are wanting before going in. It doesn't work to just put random shots together. The bride and groom may like it, but to people watching outside of the wedding, its very boring and unexciting. Have a process. It could be Bride vs groom prior to the wedding, at the wedding, after the wedding. It could chronological. Pre wedding, wedding, reception. Whatever, but have a flow. In your video, i struggled to know where those shots fit into the wedding. Was that before? After? Just for the video shoot?
    3. You need to work on your editing. Your colour correction was good, but your transitions were mediocre. As pointed out, there were many quick pan offs that were left in the video. A 1 second edit before that would have made it much more professional. Sometimes using the dissolve effect can be really powerful in these situations to create contrast, pause, show the change of a scene (maybe from pre wedding to at the wedding). It helps the audience know what is going on.

Good job, keep going!

get a tripopod

My first suggestion is to watch your edit with the sound off, then see what others can see.
    Don't be 'blinded' by the music track, that's one of the first mistakes every novice makes. "Wow! this video looks great", when actually it's the music they like and the visuals are just something to watch while they're listening.
    As a video producer you should be working the visuals for maximum impact, overlaid and cut to the beat of a good music track they will be enhanced even more if edited with care. Hope this helps!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I'm taking notes and thank you for the replies. This wedding was actually done free of cost and the ones that I do charge for are at a very fair price as I am just starting out. I have a wedding coming up in October and I will definitely work on everything mentioned. I do have a tripod, but I have 2 cameras. One camera is generally on the tripod (Sony HDR-XR500V) and I wear a DSLR (Canon 600D) around my neck. So the shaky shots you see are usually the DSLR. The tripod I purchased recently has a detachable head with two handles, so this should help a lot with my shakiness. I realized just recently it's better if I want to pan in a shot to actually take a wider shot, crop in a bit, and pan in the editing program. I am also about to make a camera slider which will also help. Thanks for all the feedback, it will definitely help me progress in my filming journey, I will also be more cautious with my editing. After reading the comments I realized I focused more on matching the music than focusing on the visuals themselves, so this will definite help me produce a better product by watching without the music. If anyone else has anything to say please do so, it is all very much appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Default I'm looking for a videographer!!

Hi
    Are you free to film at our wedding in Studley near redditch on sat 13th Oct in 2 weeks!??

Pm me if so and we can discuss requirements and payment etc

Thanks

Princessp1

FWIW I've never done a wedding shoot. So OP is doing well to be getting bookings - I kept thnking is this what the happy couple want, or is it a promo incorporating effects (like the jumps on the lawn), and then there was an out-of-focus shot, that could have beed darkened if a transition, or cut.

That shot of Bride down the stairs - the railings are stealing the shot - a higher viewpoint might help if no other view is possible, but for a promo, you could pinch a shot from a local hotel's wide staicase; but watch bright sun/contrast. Brides should be "glowing" which may mean a tiny amount of diffuser - this is quire different to Out of Focus. Also I'd drop exposure a little so the folds in the white dress can show - but it's tricky and you only get ONE shot.

. . . now soon, maybe you need an assistant to push copies of the DVD . . . help interviewing the Parents, supply fill-in light and so on.

A good way to learn might be to act as "second crew" to a larger operator (that you won't be competing with, since they have the contacts sewn up).......and yes a tripod would help, shake is not attractive - not so sure about a slider . . . needs some setting-up and assistance. Others here have suggested these pieces of kit need some learning and the shots will lift a vid, but not so sure how the Happy Couple will see it . . . . but then not all viewers will have the same outlook.

A very good attempt - good luck...
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-02-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Princessp1 View Post
    Hi
    Are you free to film at our wedding in Studley near redditch on sat 13th Oct in 2 weeks!??

Pm me if so and we can discuss requirements and payment etc

Thanks

Princessp1
    I would say yes of course, except I live in Canada! I'm flattered that you asked though. Two weeks isn't much time, so I hope you find someone soon!

As for vidnanners, thank you for the feedback. Every bit counts. This promo was 100% for the couple, the only effects were the Title shot and slow motion. I hardly count slow motion as a video for effects :P. The bride coming down the stairs was not actually a shot I set up. I just happened to be there when she came down the stairs. If I had set it up, it would have been exactly how you said. I'll definitely give the exposure drop a go. I guess I'm more or less playing it safe to get the shot as opposed to going for that perfect shot. As I get more comfortable with the camera I will definitely try and work on my lighting and such. An extra person would be great as well and as I progress, my popularity will grow, the prices will rise, and I can then afford to work someone else in. It's definitely a long term goal. Thanks a million, if you think of anything else, let me know!

Thanks again guys. The wedding is tomorrow, I'm excited to put all these great tips to work!

Brock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrockT View Post
    Thanks again guys. The wedding is tomorrow, I'm excited to put all these great tips to work!
    Good luck, and please make sure you post the results (or work in progress if you want some advice from the excellent guys here)
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast