Thread: rendering MP4 reduces quality and increases file size

Default rendering MP4 reduces quality and increases file size

I'm starting out with two MP4 files, both 1920x1080, 29fps, data rate approximately 16000kbps, dxva ac1 with aac audio. I have Sony Vegas Pro 9.0.

What settings should I set in my project properties and/or render settings to preserve my original video quality? There was a lot of blocking the first time I tried rendering with the default MP4 settings (with the resolution jump to 1920x1080 being the only difference), and the second time I upped the max and average bitrate to 50,000,000bps and got a 1.13gb file, even though the two original files together didn't even add up to 600mb. The quality was still worse than the originals.

I guess another way to solve this problem would be if there was a way to copy video streams from the original files over to the output. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lostguru View Post
    I'm starting out with two MP4 files, both 1920x1080, 29fps, data rate approximately 16000kbps, dxva ac1 with aac audio. I have Sony Vegas Pro 9.0.

What settings should I set in my project properties and/or render settings to preserve my original video quality? There was a lot of blocking the first time I tried rendering with the default MP4 settings (with the resolution jump to 1920x1080 being the only difference), and the second time I upped the max and average bitrate to 50,000,000bps and got a 1.13gb file, even though the two original files together didn't even add up to 600mb. The quality was still worse than the originals.

I guess another way to solve this problem would be if there was a way to copy video streams from the original files over to the output. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for the help guys!
    From what i see Vegas and MP4 never liked themselfs. I also get a crappy quality when trying to export to MP4 - so what i do is either to render it as AVI or M2t and process it with WinAVi video converer to Mp4 - never lost quality !

Quote Originally Posted by maximquaye View Post
    From what i see Vegas and MP4 never liked themselfs. I also get a crappy quality when trying to export to MP4 - so what i do is either to render it as AVI or M2t and process it with WinAVi video converer to Mp4 - never lost quality !
    Ah, alright. That seems like a nice workaround. I'll test it out.

Thanks for the fast reply!