Thread: Sony Vegas 5 - No Picture, No Audio ?

Default Sony Vegas 5 - No Picture, No Audio ?

I've been handed a copy of Sony Vegas 5, a number of movie clips and clips from various events held by our department and asked to create a small presentation about the growth of the the department over the past 20 years (the idea being to correlate key moments in the business with scenes from the movies). It supposed to be a 30 minute presentation however i can't get my head around sony vegas. I've been nominated as i made the fatal error of showing of a small home movie i created usind ulead video studio.

I am having problems with some clips but others are fine. In some clips the audio is fine on the timeline but the video is not visible. In others the video is fine but the audio doesnt work and in others all is well. All the clips are in avi format and all mpeg layer 3, other than that they are all different. Some of the videos are encoded with xvid, others with divx 5, some of the audios are 44100 Hz, some 48000 Hz, the majority are between 128kbps and 192kbs.

Is there a specific fomat the avi's should be encoded before they can be added to the timeline or what am i doing wrong?

Blog Entries

Is there a specific fomat the avi's should be encoded before they can be added to the timeline or what am i doing wrong?
    Generally speaking, if they came from a DV camera, they be "DV AVI" which is the de facto editing standard in Windows Non Linear Editors.

If you're a Video Studio wizz, a great time saver would be to get your hands on that at work...

The office clips are DV AVI however the film clips are standard windows audio video format for windows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by n1koolkat
    the film clips are standard windows audio video format for windows.
    I take it that's "wmv"? That's most likely the source of your problem. Try converting them to DV AVi first. Just had a stroke of genius... Windows Movie Maker is designed to work with WMV and can output DV AVI. You do the maths.

Sorry, but they are not wmv. They are either Divx5 or Xvid encoded avi files converted from DVDs. I only have one wmv file and that works fine.

Blog Entries

Then converting them to DV AVI will be a piece of proverbial piss:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-faq-90.htm#9