Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillsborough - Heading for Disaster

Default Hillsborough - Heading for Disaster

A rough edit of part one of my new three-part documentary is online now.

As always, I would be really interested to hear your comments.

Last edited by MikeTV; 03-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.

2. Default

it seemed I can not watch it here?!, why?

It seems a bit churlish to address technical faults about a video of such sensitive material but I'm sure you understand.

The first interview the camera wasn't square. There is a lot of over exposer on the side of Ed Critchley's head. The lighting for Tony Evens is very flat and dull. The caption at 2:05 was a little fast for me to read. There is a strange flicker of light or something during the Andy Burnham interview and the lighting is also dull and flat. The audio for the Richie Greaves interview seems lower than the others. The colour balance is off for the Damian Kavanagh & Paul Jarvill interview.

I thought you generally did a good job with the interviews framing wise and the sound was generally recorded ok. Editing wise, I thought it was well paced and well chosen clips enabling a nice flowing narrative of the developing story. I will be interested to see parts 2 & 3.

Well done Mike.

4. Default

Are you gonna post parts 2 and 3 here too? Bookmarking the thread just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It seems a bit churlish to address technical faults about a video of such sensitive material but I'm sure you understand.

The first interview the camera wasn't square. There is a lot of over exposer on the side of Ed Critchley's head. The lighting for Tony Evens is very flat and dull. The caption at 2:05 was a little fast for me to read. There is a strange flicker of light or something during the Andy Burnham interview and the lighting is also dull and flat. The audio for the Richie Greaves interview seems lower than the others. The colour balance is off for the Damian Kavanagh & Paul Jarvill interview.

I thought you generally did a good job with the interviews framing wise and the sound was generally recorded ok. Editing wise, I thought it was well paced and well chosen clips enabling a nice flowing narrative of the developing story. I will be interested to see parts 2 & 3.

Well done Mike.

Thanks, Midnight!

I agree with Ed thing – he was sitting near a window that lit him up. We were in a hotel room, and didn’t have anywhere else to shoot.

With Tony Evans, again, he booked a room at his work and I had to go with what was there. It was overcast outside, and I had a light on top of the camera, and I had the chance of strip lights on and off. I went with off … hey ho! J

Paul Jarvill very nearly didn’t make it in! Another hotel room, poor light from outside, and that was before I had any lights so I tried to blag it with a hotel lamp out of desperation … awful!

Damian – hotel meeting room. No lights of my own back then, and the strip lighting doesn’t agree with cameras, right! J

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    Are you gonna post parts 2 and 3 here too? Bookmarking the thread just in case.
    I probably will do, but bookmark Hillsborough to be sure.

I was watching the jimmy mcgovern TV play "Hillsborough" last night. It makes my blood boil how the families where shafted.

I have no opinion on Hillsborough, I am a VERY honest person, it did not affect me, however for the families concerned I do hope they finally get justice.

As for the video, I have seen worse professional shoots on BBC, well done

Blog Entries

Mike, i think this is excellent!
    I think you already know, from previous posts, what you could have improved upon, technically, but as we say time and time again here, what really matters is the content. Stuff shot in 320*180 at 5fps is enough, if it's relevant and real, and many current affairs and historical programs include plenty of technically sub-standard stuff. Obviously that's not to say we shouldn't all aspire to making every shot perfectly recorded, lit and composed, but it's not the most important thing.

From the time you've spent on this it is clear you have a passion and quite possibly (we don't know as this is only part one) an axe to grind or at least a strong opinion. We also know that you had loads of material which you have somehow got to make into a sensible narrative. A scary situation.

But I think you've done a great job. The material flows from interview to interview in both a logical and an interesting manner. I can well imagine the hours, days, weeks and months you must have spent trawling through the rushes, trying to form some sort of structure out of it. You've also presented the material (so far) in a matter of fact way and avoided appealing to one's emotions. As I said at the beginning - excellent job.

My only two comments on the technical side:
    The lower thirds - I really liked them. Nicely understated, clean and contemprary.
    Transitions - I liked the "flash" transitions which worked really well in particular for avoiding jump cuts when cutting from one part of an interview to another. I did not like the dissolve through gaussian blur, though. A straight dissolve or the flash would have worked better for me.

Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.
    Tim

Not a fan of football, but I recall the event in papers and on TV.
    Years later, this (posted) is a fascinating insight, most watchable and I'm amazed by the crowd density seen at 9:01 (in just one area) - perhaps the next part will explain some more.
    Am I right in understanding this is new as yet unseen reminiscences and archive collected?

The only thing I'd like to be informed where these interviewed fans were when they are reminiscing - maybe a plan of the grounds, so I can see - probably too late now but a model of the grounds so they can point out their thoughts. Obviously other fans and families will know the layout.
    I'm understanding that excessive crowds were known to the Ground Management and the Police had concerns - the problem is what do you do with fans, wanting to watch a match they've paid to see? . . . you can't realistically expect any of them to go home and watch it on tv. Was it a disaster waitng to happen?
    Perhaps MikeTV will help us.

Interviews: good shots, clear audio but as this is historic, I'd like a photo of them at the time (as fans?) - that would give Authority to their description - and the Grounds-Model mentioned, maybe now too late for inclusion.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast