Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brimham Rocks

Default Brimham Rocks

Brimham Rocks is a series of naturally occurring sandstone (millstone grit) rocks that have been eroded over time into strange and interesting shapes. There is a mystical atmosphere around them and the 50 acre area where they are found. It was this sense of mystical mystery that I tried to capture in the video.

I hope you enjoy it.

This is now the newest version.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Fascinating place. Great silhouette shots and cloudscape shots at the end. The rest - especially early on - seemed a little lacking in contrast. Almost as if it had been shot "flat" and was awaiting grading. I only mention it because this is unusual in your videos. Did you do something different this time?
    Tim

Did you do something different this time?
    Kind of but I still thought I'd graded it ok. I was only there for a few hours but wanted to make it look like it was a full day. So the early shots are supposed to look like early morning sun leading through to the end of the day. The other thing I had in my mind when editing was that I didn't want to squash the dark areas to try and keep as much detail as possible. My final excuse is having to deal with big lighting changes everything from bright sunshine to rain.

The last thing in my defence is that this is rendered in .wmv format to make a smaller file for upload and the .m2t file, I normally use, does have a little more contrast BUT at the end of the day I guess it doesn't really look that good because grading is still a weak area for me.

Fantastic scenery. Nice even transitions. With well chosen music to fit the scene a pleasure to watch this.

I watched in full screen and as already said the Video quality let it down, milky effect with very little contrast. Have to say I have seen very similar themes where you felt as if you could walk into the scene.

Good effort MB.

When you refer to the milky shots, is that just the panoramic shots of the mist in the valley or does it all look like that ? Do I need to get a new pair of eyes.

Just run the Video again to confirm and its slightly milky all the way through making it a bit flat instead of sharp. I see the morning mist effect but its almost as if I needed to turn the brightness down slightly on my monitor. Though I know I don't need to.

I see where you are coming from with regard to misty mystical mystery effect but its in the shots when the Sun is up and it didn't look right but then that is just in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    that is just in my opinion.
    Although it echoes mine! The milkines/mistyness is not just in the background (which would be as one would expect) but the foreground as well, which I would expect to have a deeper contrast.

Isn't it great that we're able to get quite picky like this and even disagree without inending or taking any offence! Where else is this possible?

Oh - another thing - Whilst the title font was great, I didn't think it was in keeping with this video - too cartoony.
    Tim

Fair points I must agree with you guys. I only post my videos so people will pull me up on these things. It's the only way we can improve. I do feel I've reached a flat point with my videography and don't know how to take it to the next level so being pulled up on these sort of points does help me. I have re-done the contrast and it's rendering now so I'll see if that helps.

While I agree with you Tim about the title, I still like it. The fact that I spent more time on doing the title than the rest of the video has nothing to do with my decision, at all, in no way, categorically not.

Is it possible that the 'milky' nature of the video was a result of the weather? Haze or cloud cover will make it pretty hard to get good contrast and colour in foreground and background. I gave up taking a camera on Snowdon as it was always hazy and every shot I took looked naff!
    One thing that might help combat this is boosting the red colour curve to increase the temperature. I have this pretty much as my default stills setting to compete with milky shots.

That's an interesting point and adding into the mix, I did take a lot of the shots at full zoom which doesn't help.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast