Thread: Any suggestions on this music video? Shadow G - Step On Stage

Default Any suggestions on this music video? Shadow G - Step On Stage

Does anyone have any suggestions on this music video? This was a four day shoot eight day edit during the summer of 2012 in Tucson, AZ featuring Chicago rapper Shadow G.

Shadow G - Step On Stage (Official Music Video) EXPLICIT - YouTube

Default Awon - Money Over Here Official Music Video

One video per thread please. See THE RULES HERE

Thank you.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.

The video seems to contain all the expected elements for this type of music. Every thing seems to be in focus and framed well etc.. What more do you want from the video ?

I am interested in theog's views on the purpose of (1) showing the artist smoking, and (2) the lady in the swimming pool? Is there a chance that such things may limit the number of happy viewers?

I am currently In the process of making another music video with Shadow G. After making this video I felt like it lost even my attention in the middle. I was hoping for suggestions specifically on how to improve the video in a way where it would imitate the beat more visually but also I am trying to improve my videography and cutting in general.

I do agree with you Tim that including these elements does limit my audience and may be found to be offensive but the reason for my use of these elements is to send the message of Shadow G having a good time, enjoying himself, while still "going hard" at what he does. I wanted the video to come out fun and sexy in order to attempt to appeal to my target audience while focusing mainly on the artist because this music video was his first release and the song was all about him.

I'm nowhere near the demographic that this artist is aimed at but though the forum I have seen a lot of this type of artist. The videos they tend to produce usually seem to follow a patten similar to your video above. I think it's time to break the stereo type mold with these types of artist and get more creative and imaginative. I also feel they should be more imaginative in their lyrics but that is not something you have control over.

I would say to you to make the kind of video you want to see and try and persuade the artist to think outside the box and dare to be different. If it's just down to the need to make money for you then of cause you need to follow what the artist wants but if you have the freedom to be more creative then go for it. You have the technical ability you just need to open your mind to new ideas.

How many rappers do you see at a rodeo or working hard in the office, Fighting as a soldier or a fireman or some sort of positive role model. Wild ideas perhaps but start to think really differently and you might just come up with an interesting idea.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I felt like it lost even my attention in the middle
    The clip is much better than I could have filmed. Congratulations on the hard work.
    I agree entirely with both of MB's posts, and I share his demography. I could not understand many of the lyrics and was generally unable to link the lyrics to what I was seeing (exceptions include shots like the nearby police car). As a result, it was not always clear what messages/story/emotions the rapper was putting across.
    You have filmed him several times around the city, miming to his recording. Then, selected the best bits and edited then all together and added a few effects. That is, of course, extremely logical. Afterall, the viewer then sees the best of the rapper; and the scenes appear to change rapidly enough to stop it looking boring.

The problem I found with the clip was that it became increasingly boring. And towards the end, I longed for it to finish. I don't want to appear rude; this is just my opinion.
    I don't know what the Artist wants. My earlier comments (smoke and woman) suggest that he wants to present an image for a particular group of people. That is fine, but it may limit his chances of becoming an international star.

I would have been inclined to study the lyrics, and link parts of the story or its emotions to particular locations (e.g. the shot of him in front of hub caps could be related to concepts like 'travel' and 'go'). I would also add additional scenes where the artist does *not* appear, which might be useful for emotions like 'thought' or 'loneliness'. Because the tempo of the song does not appear to change, you might want to consider imposing some way to guide the viewer through a collection of highs and lows - rather than expecting them to maintain their adrenaline levels for over 5 mins.