Thread: student video camera

Default student video camera

I'm taking a CGI digital effects course and ironically i don't know a thing about camcorders but a fair deal about SLRs. my budget is fairly low since i'm a student and will be using my student loan to help me out on this. I also want a fairly good quality video similar to Mat Kearney - Ships In The Night (A cappella Cover by Jake Coco feat. Eclipse) on iTunes - YouTube but with amount of money i got i can't be too picky.

so long story short i need a camera that shoots in HD good quality. I don't really want to record on tape since i would have to keep buying them and frankly their a pain to use.

Great but what is your budget

i guess under 1000 but even at that price i'm quiet unhappy about but i want a camera that gets the job done in high res for a fairly cheap price nothing crazy expensive

If I was you I'd get a second hand Canon 5D Mk II and something to record the sound. If that's too rich try a Nikon D7000.

London, England

Probably best to wait until you start the course, read review and general chat here will get you familiar with the jargon, and then see what's needed to complete the course.

If this course is for your career, then don't get distracted by YT. it won't help . . . that's my pennyworth, FWIW.

Good luck.

@midnight Blue isnt the Canon 7D more known for its filming capabilities?

@vidmanners i would like to use the camera to venture off and start making my own videos to help practice and i know there are bands at my university so could volunteer to help film them or make a video for them to start building up a collection. but i wont be getting a camera straight away

The 7D is a fine camera BUT the 5D Mk II is better and has just been superseded by the Mk III so there may be some good bargains around. Another popular DSLR for video is the Panasonic GH2 (with the hack) You should be able to pick up a new one for around 600 which will leave you money to get a Zoom H4n and a good mic for your sound.

If you Google Philip Bloom and take a look at his reviews about videoing with DSLRs. They will tell you all you need to know about them.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-11-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: To add the Panasonic info.

8. Default

I think the difference between the 7D and 5D mk II comes down to what you are recording... They are different cameras. 5D is full frame and does well in low light. 7D is cheaper and with the new software upgrade offers some great things.

The Panasonic GH2 is a beautiful camera for video on a budget. I agree with Midnight Blue, that is a good option with the H4n!