Thread: Vegas Pro 9 vs Platinum 11

Default Vegas Pro 9 vs Platinum 11

I have platinum 11 and have discovered that the Pro version has something called 'velocity envelope' which I believe works in a similar manner to Twixtor, in that it can add artificial frames, allowing you to decrease the speed of playback without it juddering. Can anyone advise on whether it's worth spending again on a Vegas suite to get this one tool that I would really like to work with, or is Pro9 so old that it would be a waste of money?
    Cheers

Blog Entries

I can't remember if Pro 9 was available in 64 bit, but it certainly does not support OFX effects (that wasn't available until 10) which may limit the plug-ins you can use with it. Velocity envelopes are good but the results are not as good as those I've seen with Twixtor (I can't truly compare like for like as I haven't used Twixtor myself). If you get Pro 9 at a very good price this will give you a cheap upgrade path to Pro 12 when it is launched.

CAVEAT. Make sure you get teh full licence with Pro 9 and it is not a serial number which has already been upgraded. The Sony licenece allows say me to upgrade my Pro 9 to Pro 10 and seel the serial no for Pro 9 on to you, quite legally. However, as I have already upgraded to Pro 10 you would not be able to upgrade yourself.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can't remember if Pro 9 was available in 64 bit, but it certainly does not support OFX effects (that wasn't available until 10) which may limit the plug-ins you can use with it. Velocity envelopes are good but the results are not as good as those I've seen with Twixtor (I can't truly compare like for like as I haven't used Twixtor myself). If you get Pro 9 at a very good price this will give you a cheap upgrade path to Pro 12 when it is launched.

CAVEAT. Make sure you get teh full licence with Pro 9 and it is not a serial number which has already been upgraded. The Sony licenece allows say me to upgrade my Pro 9 to Pro 10 and seel the serial no for Pro 9 on to you, quite legally. However, as I have already upgraded to Pro 10 you would not be able to upgrade yourself.

My OS isn't 64 bit (Win7 32), are all current Vegas producst 64bit? Because I'm not sure how that would affect my system. Anyway, it's intersting that I could pick up a Pro with the intention of upgrading - but it really is for the one plugin. I won't be doing any of the 1000fps footage that is doing the rounds at the moment, but a steady 120fps from my 60fps media would be good. Any idea what the cost of upgrade is? And is it reduced if I waited for 12 to come out and upgraded to 11 (if allowed that)?

Vegas do a 32 and a 64 bit version so you would be ok in that regard. Can't you do a 120fps in Vegas Studio from the clip properties ? I don't know about the costing etc.

Because my videos are all pretty much of mountain biking, the faster pace limits how slow I can take the clip before stuttering is visible. My camera shoots in 60fps which I stretch to about 30fps, sometimes 25 to get some ok slow motion, but I'd like to reduce the speed of the axtion further. If I can build it up to 120fps then I could stretch it to four times slower. I can't get anywhere near this without severe jumping, but the clip properties will certainly allow me to stretch it out pretty far.

If that's the case I think you will get the same issue with the velocity envelope. I found twixter really difficult to master and I think it only really works for certain types of shots.

Hmm... that's a shame. Am I right in thinking that it adds artificial frames as Twixtor does? But you don't think it could handle allowing you to stretch footage to four times the speed.
    Sony are releasing a new 'Action Cam' which i read a rumour can shoot at 720x120p, and the base model is only $200 so... I think maybe I'll invest in better hardware rather than software (if this frame rate is correct!).

I don't really know how it works technically. I guess it must add frames but I don't think it works in the same way as Twixter. I think Twixter works out the object position difference between frames and creates a half way position in the new frames, where as Vegas will just double the amount of the same frames.