Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to edit a video in after effects.

1. Default Struggling to edit a video in after effects.

Hello there. I am a first time user of After Effects. Until now I only used the windows video editor that came with my XP but as it seems, that software won't let me keep my aspect ratios of my movies if I want them at a certain quality, After Effect can. The problem is, I have no idea how to use the software. To start with, I would like to edit an existing video I have by cutting out certain small parts here and there. That would be easy in Windows video editor but I have no idea how to do it in After effects and the manual isn't much help. Could someone here please tell me how to do it.

I should note, I am using After effects version 4.

Thank you.

2. Default

I think you should do some reading on what After Effects is for. It is not a video editing program, rather its like a photoshop for video. It is to manipulate certain footage, not to cut small parts here and there. That is what final cut, adobe premiere, song Vegas, etc. are for.

3. Default

So which program would you recommend for a noob such as myself:Song Vegas, Final Cut or Premeire?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by denversteal View Post
    So which program would you recommend for a noob such as myself:Song Vegas, Final Cut or Premeire?
    Well, that depends on yourself really. Final Cut is ruled out as it is only for Mac's and you said you were using XP, so I'm assuming your'e on a windows based PC. If windows movie maker is not doing it for you, then premeire pro would be good. I have never used Vegas, so can't comment on it. Premeire is great. Both are quite expensive though. So, maybe do some reading up on them and watch some videos to see which one looks better for you. Premeire and After effects work really well together because they're both made my adobe.

Adobe premier elements is fairly inexpensive so might be worth considering! But you can download a trial of it for 30 days on the adobe website so give it a go and see

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Adobe premier elements is fairly inexpensive so might be worth considering! But you can download a trial of it for 30 days on the adobe website so give it a go and see
    Great option! Actually forgot about the elements version! Definitely a great step forward.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by denversteal View Post
    If you have a mac, use final cut pro and use the wonderful tool of the internet to get it, if you have pc, get adobe premier pro.

Quote Originally Posted by TVavengedSevenfold View Post
    use the wonderful tool of the internet to get it
    You mean purchasing the software from the retailers online stores therefore allowing the companies to continue to generate such incredible software for us all to use.

Apple - Final Cut Pro X - A revolution in creative editing.
    Link to where you can purchase FCPX or download a trial
    Adobe Premiere Elements 10 | Movie editor, Movie editing software
    Same again for premier elements

9. Default

Yes ofcourse. What were you thinking?

I made a similar comment somewhere about "powers of the Internet" to find something and got a dozen E-warriors charging at me, even though my statement was genuinely about purchasing from supplier!
    It is easy for misunderstandings to arise, I was simply trying to avoid any here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast