Thread: Hi! I`ve just joined and...

Default Hi! I`ve just joined and...

like everyone who starts out need a little help.

I`ve been a still photographer for many years and having retired have just discovered that my 5d2/5d3 shoot really good videos. I have photop cs6 and premier pro. I have more or less found my way around cs6 video editing but wouldn`t mind some pointers to somewhere where i can watch some tutorials on premier done by people that haven`t got a train to catch and realise that I need to be shown where to click rather than just told.

Secondly! I want to use my 5d2 in conjunction with my 5d3 (using the 5d3 for my 17-40 WA as the sensor is clean and should show any dust marks in the videos and my 5d2 with something like my 135 on board) I want to shoot both units at the same or close by time so that I can interact the clips moving from WA shots to telephoto shots of the subject as I edit the video, I`ve tried it out more or less in CS6 and using fade between the strips can look really good. I know you might say to just use one camera and fit a zoom and I suppose there is some sense in that and I`ll be led on anything you can advise. Although I would like the shallow DOF that the 135 offers for the close in shots.
    Q. the resolution of the 5d3 is slightly larger than the 5d2, will that cause problems of frame size etc as I mix the cuts? ( I suppose perfect colour balance between the two cameras would also be a big problem?)

I suppose you see loads of newbies and get used to passing over the posts but I really do need some help please so if you can spare the time!

Looking at premier pro it would be the ideal program because I don`t think there is much that can`t be achieved in it but will I ever get to grips with it!!!

Anyway, any start out advice would be much appreciated

Dave

Hi Dave welcome to the forum. I'm not a premier user so I can't give you tips directly but if you do a search on YouTube there are loads of tutorials you will just have to select the ones which you need. Example if you want to learn about colour correction search "colour correction in CS6" or similar.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Midnight

Welcome,
    - it seems to me you have most of the skills necessary (and the hardware/software).
    If you find it difficult to see the (very small) buttons to click (as in Vegas Studio and other progs are just as silly, IMHO), then you can try to use yr telly.
    If that's LCD/Digital the HDMI input should take HDMI from yr PC (assuming Graphics-card has that o/p) - I was amazed by the extra contrast the larger picture gives, although for much surfing I'm still using a 19" Monitor - and that improved itself when I used DVI rather than VGA, which as you know goes through two conversions.

What you are describing is a 2-camera shoot, which can result in a professional Edit as the Point of View [POV] can be swapped, e.g. from wide to close-up. If the cameras are similar, then the sensors should "match" and the viewer only see the new viewpoint, however, you should check maybe changing them deliberately up/down a couple of stops to be sure (using a test-card, known picture, etc.).
    The major advantage to ( us ) is that the sound is synced so you can choose whichever track is clearer, fading between them and no-one notices.
    The thing to watch is that the views are not "crossng the line" - for exampl where you have a scene with a car going L-R and then a close-up of the driver from the other-side (so the car isn't "pointing" right! . . . it looks somewhat confusing . . . . of course you can do it deliberately for comic effect.
    Cuts
    As far as I'm aware it "may" be better to do a rapid change...like a jump, rather than fade in/out since fades and fancy transitions usually connnects otherwise unconnected thoughts.... or times. The view can be quite short too, if say a "Presenter" is pointing at a dial.
    Of course if it's a flower, then you might want to hold it longer to put the Latin name up - maybe as long as 10 sec. so viewers can register it. Indeed the name can remain after the view returns to the Presenter, for a short while. Try different fade-styles...
    However, try it all ways round - and see which suits you best.

Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

I suppose you see loads of newbies and get used to passing over the posts but I really do need some help please so if you can spare the time!

Hi Dave and Welcome. Yes we do, but we are here to help you. If you get stuck just post the question. Bear in mind that most do get answered and then only if someone here is familiar with the topic and knows the answer.

Looking at premier pro it would be the ideal program because I don`t think there is much that can`t be achieved in it but will I ever get to grips with it!!!

Like most things its all about a lot of time and patients, if you decide on premier then try and stick with it. Get to know it. Remember the best software on the market is the one you are comfortable with using. Like. Do I buy a Panasonic or a Samsung they both do about the same thing.

Thank you for your replies, all taken on board, I`m thinking of maybe making an aluminium plate up to be able to mount two DSLR`s side by side which might make it easier. What do you think to that idea?

BTW I made this up and fitted it into my old van as a travel record using my G9 _CHI3872.jpg photo - david chilvers photos at pbase.com

Me again
    I`m gonna make a bracket that will hold two cameras, this is the sort of thing Pro Velbon Double Camera Plate For Tripod Monopod DRSL | eBay it`s great and will do the job but I think that 55 is too much to pay as an experiment (what do you think?)
    I`ve found a 12" bar of aluminium that is 3/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide (just the right width for me to cannibalize an old Real Right Stuff camera mount so that the bar will connect to either of my two tripods that are fitted with RRS tripod heads.)
    I can then drill through for each camera that have RRS camera mount on them and just fix them with the normal 1/4" bolts. It means that the tripod ball head will (when adjusted) move both cameras at the same time which may or may not be a good thing(any advice on this?) but at least I can mount both cameras on the one tripod and keep a close watch on them and by simply just undoing two bolts I will have my cameras back as stand alones that will still fit onto my tripods. I`m not sure if I should have both cameras facing squarely to the front or maybe just tip them in a touch.
    Anyway, any advice would be good. I can`t even use CS6 editor or premier pro yet properly and I`m making special brackets up for effects It`s the engineer coming out in me I suppose. I have thought about using something like my 24-105 on just one camera and zooming in and out but of course I won`t then be able to catch the same moment with WA and tele and of course something like the 135 f2 is just superb as far as narrow DOF when needed.

I wonder just how many of you guys/gals use a dedicated video camera and how would you rate the difference between DSLR vs video camera?
    What I like about the DSLR is the way in which I can shoot high quality stills for stock work whilst playing around with video.

Even at this early stage I realise that sound is going to be the actual test, I have an external mike but getting sound right aint easy, I think I concentrate on the video footage to start with and just add my own tracks if need be.

Thanks again for any advice

Dave

I liked your photo. Is the bracket at the front to stabilise the camera, to reduce unwanted shaking while the vehicle is moving? It looks as if there is no way to move the camera left/right or up/down.
    The 'pro velbon' looks fun, but looks a little short to hold 2 cameras. But the slots would allow you to adjust the distance between 2 cameras. I used something similar recently (but only using 2 small cheap 'flip' cameras). In my case, having a single (?? the tripod ball head??) made moving the cameras together very easy.
    Perhaps the importance of 'facing both cameras squarely facing to the front' may depend on the distance of the cameras from the object; and whether you are considering producing 3d images.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I liked your photo. Is the bracket at the front to stabilise the camera, to reduce unwanted shaking while the vehicle is moving? It looks as if there is no way to move the camera left/right or up/down.
    Yeh! you are correct, the stabilizer at the rear had to be fitted after initial trials showed that there was a touch too much shake and there is no adjustment other than a QR plate that enables me to easily remove the camera from view but to be quite honest it is set up fine and is only meant to record journeys and for a bit of fun.