Thread: camera advice required

Default camera advice required

Hi all ... I'm still new to this and am looking to buy a camcorder to practice my movie making and editing skills
    I have seen the Sony hvr-a1e and was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the camera and if it would suit my needs
    The one I have seen is 2nd hand for around the 500 mark
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

It won't help posting twice in this forum so I removed your other post.

If you tell us what you will be filming and exactly what your needs are, it may help us to advise you better.

Hi
    I'm not too sure exactly what I'm gonna be filming to be honest
    Im thinking mostly family landscape and wildlife
    So a mixed bag I'd say
    I'd really like a camera that will give good quality footage with the ability to edit

If you stick to the main 3 makes of Sony, Panasonic, Canon,and do your homework on the specs. you won't go far wrong. I would stay away from Hard disk recorders and go for one which shoots on to a memory card. Ilike THIS site for reviews which would be a good place to start. You can always check back if you have specific questions about a camera.

Good hunting.

Hi midnight .., thanks for the advice.., why do you recommend sd card as opposed to the tape type of camera ?? Is sd better??
    Also I have seen the Sony a1e... What are your thoughts about this camera ..??
    Thanks

Memory cards are the future. Tapes drives are being phased out, In fact I don't know of any new consumer tape drive camera. I also think the work flow is easier just to copy the files to the computer rather than capture in real time from a tape. I may be wrong but I think you can record at higher bit rates to the modern cards than you can to HDV tapes.

The Sony AE1 was a great camera in it's day. I don't have a problem with it. It looks the part, has good manual functions, which you will find a bonus over some of the more modern cameras. I've never used it but never heard anything bad about it.

I'm not at all an expert on different cameras as I have always gone for Panasonics, so I'm not the best person to answer this question really.

That's great advice thank you ..
    I'm gonna have a look at a few of the sd card cameras to see how they compare Size and stability wise... Obviously I don't want one that's too small either but will see what's out there .., I think if I do my homework I might even be able to afford a new one ..
    Thanks again for the advice

Great advice from an established Poster, - but may I add...?

OP is unclear as to what he'll be filming, but includes "Family" (which is almost a "Given"), so I suggest he tries his local Library to see if there's a Film-Making group nearby. There he may be lucky and find one that has "Workshop" evenings where techniques are demonstrated and give the opp for members to learn by joining-in.
    By having "Subjects" set and a deadline it should improcve his "Focus" (as it were) so the member gains skills that will (With Opinions here), help in the choice of camcorder (er, Or DSLR ) - there is nomally no need to be a Camcorder-Owner. . . . and these days there are some cheapo cameras that will produce quite acceptable movie footage in a SDHC card (being the cards with the best Cost/Capacity ratio). ....and there is always a welcome for guys that can move lights, dolleys, etc.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    so I suggest he tries his local Library to see if there's a Film-Making group nearby.
    For the full list of IAC clubs (the Film & Video Institute - the body that oversees affiliiated amateur cubs) see here.
    Tim

Thanks for the advice all
    I will take it on board and do a little local digging to see if I can find any clubs in my area
    Thanks again for you help and support