Thread: Moving further - trying new stuff

Default Moving further - trying new stuff

Hi, well, the title could have been better. Anyway, I tried, the other day, filming *after* choosing the music and letting the music find the shots and places for me. And I did it again yesterday. The end result ended up being fairly different than what I originally had in mind, aesthetically, but I believe the atmosphere is here. Anyway, there's still tons of polishing until I can get the kind of result that I'd like but I feel this short vid may mark a milestone in my progress towards something still "artsy" but more narrative and meaningful.

anyway, let me know what you think. The original idea, coming from the music, was to film city streets but with the common element of a or several lightbulbs or at least light sources. This is intended to be a promotional video for a friend of mine who just started his yoyo brand named "diamont noir", all the products will have names related to lights or stars, this one being the celestial ampoule, "ampoule" being french for "light bulb", hence the light sources throughout the video. technically speaking, the video also has to show the main features of the products which are the balanced set of counterweights (the clear little dicy things attached to the end of the yoyo string), the small pouch for carrying it around, as well as the brightness and intensity of the coloring and the general shape and size of the yoyo.

I think you managed to get all the technical elements you aimed for. From the point of view of a non yo-yo'er I think you made the product look very cool. The atmospheric music may have been a little over the top, as it communicated to me, a very serious dark place. If that is what you are aiming for, you hit the mark but is that right for the product ?

I liked some of the overlay FXs but I'm not a fan of over doing FXs which I thought this video did. If you had gone the full transition from one clip to the other for some of them it may have worked better but I'm talking on a very subjective level which is a very individual thing and I feel, not one person will totally agree with another on this. If some of the overlay shots were a little less hand held it may have worked better BUT I do understand the look you are going for. I've only been brave enough to use this style once, I think it worked in the context of that video but as I say it's very much an individual taste issue. So would that be right to promote a product ?

Well done and keep the experiments going.

One side note, your yo-yo'ing skills are just amazing.

Blog Entries

Nice one, hadoq.

I read Mindinght's comments first and I expected to agree with him about the FX used. However, when I saw it and all it really was was some overlays with various levels of opacity, I thought they suited the mood perfectly. the overlasy were generally chosen so that they made space for each other and the elements from each image were clear. So, as Midnight says, it's all rather subjective and individual.

I wasn't totally convinced by the framing. Many of the shots seemed a bit "betwixt and between". Many weren't clear whetehr they were meant to be framing you or deliberately excluding part of your head, and it wasn't clear whether others were meant to be framing the whole of the trick or not. (I'm not sure if I'm being clear on that - what i mean it it's fine if a shot cuts off half your head or part of the yoyo travel, so log as it looks like it was intentional - some of these didn't)

Similarly I wasn't sure of a couple of other pieces. At first I thought the jump cut at 0:20 was a stylistic motif, but if that was the case, I would expect other examples to follow, which they didn't. So it just looks like a jump cut. At 0:33 you begin a tilt upwards which starts to bring in your face - but then stops halfway up your face. i appreciate the intention was to move the camera with the yoyo action, but the eye is drawn to the bit of the image that is being revealed - the face (I'm sure psychologists would be able to tell you we look for things we recognise first - eg human features or some such explanation).

I was also not sure about the fact thet the "DIA" from the brand name was in shadow for most of the final clip, but then I did wonder whether that was quite efffective, leading the viewer to be intrigued about what it said and finaly, of course, rewarded - puzzle solved.
    Tim

Awesome posts, so first off, thank you for taking the time and helping out.

I feel I need to add a bit of context (which is a proof to me that it's not good enough as a video for itself, but it may help you out to understand some of the challenges I set up for myself and maybe then you can even better help me out). Anyway, some of your comments were editing related, some others were filming related, so I'm going to try to address them in those two categories.

Filming wise, it's been a few times now that I delegate most of the filming to a friend of mine who happens to be a very good photographer too. Although he definitely needs to "think film" rather than "think photo" sometimes, I feel he's the best guy for the job right now for me as he understands the technicalities, he knows how to build an image in general and he also knows me very well which is definitely a plus as he can better understand what I'm trying to do. Anyway, that change ended up being a rather loose end but it's coming together and I feel it'll work better in a few months, up until now, I decided to compromise in order for my friend to get the chance to have some camera time and also to really get into some phasing together creatively. I truly believe the end result will be better eventually, once everything clicks together. But until now, it is a challenge to film like that and I do not always end with the shots that I wanted. But overall, at my stage of learning, I welcome the challenge and take on the opportunity to stimulate my creativity using those shots anyway. So that should address the framing issue discussed above and my reply to that is "it's coming together, slowly, but surely"

The other point, about filming is that we're short on equipment as we have two lights and two cams (not always using both cams, one being a gopro) but only two tripods, so if I want to use both lights, the camera will end up being hand held.

Creatively, and about the editing, I believe the dark atmosphere is, and always have been my thing, you can go back to my photography or my music, I can't help it and it's been years now that I embraced it. So there's always going to be something dark in whatever I create, sometimes it'll only be a small detail, sometimes it'll be the whole piece.

it's been a couple of vids now that I've been trying something else, I used to first film, then find the music, then start editing. finding the music has always been very difficult when I started from the footage, and for the longest, it could take me days to find the right one. And when I was then editing, most of the times, it was very hard to find the perfect shot at each moment (well, perfect to my level of skill at least). Now, when I listen to some music (which is pretty much ALL the time), I get the idea for a video whenever I'm listening to some inspiring tune, from that point, I start building images in my head, then I go out and start looking for places and ideas in the real world that could get me closer to that idea. For this vid, this was the first time I actually went outside of my home to do it, so I ended up with extremely different shots than what I was aiming for, but I'll put it on the count of my inexperience in that particular exercise. All in all, I still ended up with footage that fitted the music better than when I did it the other way around, so I went with it anyway and while I'm not really satisfied with the end result, I mean, I like that vid, but it's very far from my original idea and definitely not on par with my quality standards (and so are all my other videos for that matter, it'll take years to get there, if ever, my end game here is to, a few years from now hopefully, film a feature length movie with crew, actors and the whole thing, so I need to get some serious miles under my belt and get all the help I can)

Anyway

editing wise, this explains that, the problem I had is that I ended up with far too many elements that I wanted to keep for far too little music time, which is when I had the idea of doing overlays, I thought they fitted the atmosphere nicely and would help me out pacing the whole "story" throughout the video. That was my first time with overlays so I didn't really know what to do, so I do as I always do in this kind of situation, I go for it anyway, try to stay simple, finish the editing, export, sleep on it and watch it again the next day. I don't ever go back on something that I "finished", but I watch it extensively in order to find out what went right and what went wrong. Posting it here is also part of the process to help me get better and identify what's worth working on and what's not.

I also feel at this point that I can not be satisfied with comments of friends, relatives and whatnot, I do need some good information from people who do the same thing, some comments about some stuff that most people won't notice. You always have been very helpful to me and I owe you probably more than you can imagine.

Back to the clip, there has been a lot of "randomness" in it, filming it, editing it, I just went for different things, thinking it'll be best for me to find out what was working and what was not

About the jump cut, this is another characteristic of the stuff I do, it never has been voluntary, it just happens and same as above, I decided long ago to just go with it. I very often end up with "glitchy" stuff, in a very small amount, usually I correct these, but more often than not, I just leave one out there just for the fun of it. That jump cut has many wrongs in it, but it's just a cut and it happens very fast so first I decided to remove it, then I changed my mind and decided to just leave it like that.

The goal of the video, as you may (or may not) have understood (probably before I even did, actually) to help promote the product, but in a way, to also help promote myself.
    You may not know it, but the yoyo community works as a whole community with various sub-communities, countries, continents, but also brands, brands that have their own teams of players for many purposes, promotion, competition etc... And this brand has a team that I'd like to join, maybe it ended up pushing me towards doing something personal for that particular film. I really meant to do something different, something more, work a little harder and put more of myself into it.

I started with a fairly precise idea, but like most of the time when I create, the material creates itself and I just end up putting it all together to the best of my ability and it usually results in something that is more personal than what I expected. I guess it is the difference of the image I have of myself and who I really am. So sometimes I'm surprised with the result because it does "fit" but it's not always close to what I intended to do in the first place. Again, I just go with it, I tried going against and I did not work out at all, I just can't create anything that's not "me", it does not work out.

So yes, this film is probably more personal than expected and planned, it's very glitchy, has far too many small wrongs in it, but this was the best I had to offer at that point in time. Now I'd do it completely differently, but it's already done so I'm moving on and already planning my next one which may be about a car and a racetrack

That's a great creative view to have. I'm not sure if it will give you the discipline you may need to accomplish what I think you're going for so you need to find a balance so it becomes easier for you to get the intended results. I think everyones work is personal to them even those guys who film someones wedding are putting a piece of themselves into the video they are making. This is to be expected.

You are on a great journey, make sure you have fun on the way, then at the end of the day when you think you haven't made it, you will realise that you have being living it all the time. (Is that too deep.)

100% with you on that one

and I'm having a blast, or I wouldn't be doing it. I mean it's sometimes hard and whatnot, but I like going through the hard stuff too! I did set a destination, but I surely am enjoying the ride, which is the point.

discipline is one thing I've been lacking, but things are starting to change since some time ago now, I'm not quite there yet but there have been notable improvements on my discipline.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the insight hadoq. Keep enjoying it!
    Tim

Thanks for the nice words. Listen (well, read, really), since you've helped me so much with my vids and whatnot. I'd be more than happy to send over a couple of yoyos for you guys. Don't feel obligated to learn how to play or anything, you can do it if you want, give them to your kids, your wife or keep it as a conversation starter (hey that guy from the video forum sent me this yoyo!) or maybe even use it in a video of yours... whatever you want.

Anyway, message me your address, I'll send those over for you

That's a very kind offer. My address is on my website. Just click on the link in my signature.

Blog Entries

Really generous of you. PM sent!
    Tim