Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing video editing software

Default Need help choosing video editing software

Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this brief...

I'm pretty new to making movies and have up to this point been using the original Windows Movie Maker to edit short movies. I recently purchased a new Sony camera which takes .mp4 videos. I soon found that Windows Movie Maker will not take .mp4 files. It took me a while but I found a free video converter program online and began converting the .mp4 files to .avi so that I could edit them.

My problem is that when I convert the original .mp4 files to .avi there is a large decrease in quality. The final editied product from Windows Movie Maker is converted yet again to an even worse looking .wmv file. The reason I bought a new camera is for better quality videos but by the time I finish editing them the quality is horrible. (very frustrating)

I need help choosing a new video editing software and could really use some help...

I need the software to have these qualities...

1. Takes .mp4 files
    2. The final product has no decrease in quality.
    3. Has a reverse effect

Also, The main effect I use is slow motion and I mostly use the fade transition to go from one scene to the next. Do any paticular softwares allow you to fine tune both the amount the video is slowed down, and how long the fade between scenes takes? Using Windows Movie Maker the only option is a 50% slow down and I am often left wanting to fine tune it futher to my liking. The fade transition between scenes is also quite a bit longer on WMM than most other people's videos I've seen (I assume using different editing software). I would like to recreate exactly some of the movies I've already done on WMM, so I was hoping to be able to lengthen the fade duration to match the WMM fade.

Thanks for any help you may provide!
    Last edited by neweditor1; 09-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Most of the common NLEs (Editing software) will be able to do what you need. I use Sony Vegas and found it easy to learn and it has a lot of powerful tools. Adobe do a very popular editing software. I'd recommend downloading the 30 free trials and give them a go to see which one you prefer.

As this section is "Just for fun", I thought it fit to chime in and speculate that MB doesn't mean you'd have to download up to 30 free trials . Do test several trial versions, some are for 30 days, but according to their SCS Knowledgebase Sony seems to have cut the Vegas / Movie Studio trials to 15 days now.
    Last edited by vkmast; 09-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Oops. I ment 30 day free trials.
    Sony seems to have cut the Vegas / Movie Studio trials to 15 days now.
    That's a shame.

Windows Movie Maker is technically a computer virus, not an NLE (if you remember, Jeff Goldblum uploaded a copy of Windows Movie Maker to the alien mother ship in the movie "Independence Day" in order to crash their computer and save the world). Don't waste any more time trying to get it to work.

Sony Vegas is probably the best value for your money, but I am partial to Premiere Pro so I would suggest that you try Premiere Elements as well.

Zam

For HD you need Windows Live Movie Maker, a free download from MS for Win 7 users. It'm not the best editor and I found it somewhat tedious having little control over the artistic content.

Thank you for your replies. From my research so far I'm thinking I'll probly go with Sony Vegas, though I see that Sony Vegas seems to have a few different type of softwares - Vegas Pro & Vegas Movie Studio. Can someone tell what the difference is between them?

Also, are you sure that you are able to fine tune both the slow motion amount and fade transition duration with Sony Vegas? That is sort of a deal breaker for me.

8. Lightbulb

Yes, me, too, I want a great software, too, which has great features to edit movies, keep and refine video quality, better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neweditor1 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this brief...

I'm pretty new to making movies and have up to this point been using the original Windows Movie Maker to edit short movies. I recently purchased a new Sony camera which takes .mp4 videos. I soon found that Windows Movie Maker will not take .mp4 files. It took me a while but I found a free video converter program online and began converting the .mp4 files to .avi so that I could edit them.

My problem is that when I convert the original .mp4 files to .avi there is a large decrease in quality. The final editied product from Windows Movie Maker is converted yet again to an even worse looking .wmv file. The reason I bought a new camera is for better quality videos but by the time I finish editing them the quality is horrible. (very frustrating)

I need help choosing a new video editing software and could really use some help...

I need the software to have these qualities...

1. Takes .mp4 files
    2. The final product has no decrease in quality.
    3. Has a reverse effect

Also, The main effect I use is slow motion and I mostly use the fade transition to go from one scene to the next. Do any paticular softwares allow you to fine tune both the amount the video is slowed down, and how long the fade between scenes takes? Using Windows Movie Maker the only option is a 50% slow down and I am often left wanting to fine tune it futher to my liking. The fade transition between scenes is also quite a bit longer on WMM than most other people's videos I've seen (I assume using different editing software). I would like to recreate exactly some of the movies I've already done on WMM, so I was hoping to be able to lengthen the fade duration to match the WMM fade.

Thanks for any help you may provide!
    Hey, i have already found one software -- VeryPDF PowerPoint to Video Converter, which is a functional application supporting an innovative way to convert PowerPoint presentations to Video files of excellent quality with all the original animations and sound effects retained. PowerPoint to Video Converter allows you to convert PowerPoint presentations to popular video formats such as AVI, FLV, MP4, etc. You can share the converted Video files on various video hosting websites such as YouTube after the conversion.

At last, hope this software which not only convert PowerPoint to video, but also retain PowerPoint quality and edit other properties of videos singly or in batches, will be helpful to you!

Last edited by bbs.pdf11980; 09-25-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: find a great suitable software

neweditor,
    Movie Studio Platinum 12 Product Comparisons

I'd start with a Movie Studio version and if needed, you'll probably be able to get VPro at a much nicer price going the upgrade route.

Last edited by vkmast; 09-14-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Vegas Pro and Movie Studio are basically the same piece of software but Movie Studio has some of the functions removed and a restrictions on the number of tracks that you can have. One interesting thing about Vegas software is, if you start with Movie Studio you can upgrade to the Pro version cheaper than going straight for the pro version first. Have a look at the comparison chart HERE to see the difference.

Yes, you can fine tune the slow-motion amount and the fade duration in Vegas. The only limitation is you can only set each clip to one speed which would mean you would have to split a clip to get variable speeds in Movie studio BUT in the Pro version you have a tool called velocity envelope which will enable you to vary the speed up and down to your hearts content.

I should get commission from Sony for this type of promotion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast