Thread: New to Videography .. Help needed . .

Default New to Videography .. Help needed . .

Hi all,
    My names aChad and I'm new to videography and editing . . Im hoping to get into the videograpghy side of things as a hobby however am having rouble knowing where to start when i comes to buying a camera and which editing software is the best to use . .

I have been looking at buying a semi-pro / pro camera as i want something that will last a few years and still be quite up to date in months to come . ..

I will mostly be focussing my attention of childrens parties and the odd family doo etc . . as well as going for some nature / wildlife photography . . .

I know many people are using DSLR cameras for this type of work . . but i would like to get a video camera . . which leads me to another predicament . .HD or HDV tapes ?? or any alternatives ???

Your help will be appreciated . ..

thanks

Hi, welcome to the forums. I am not an expert, but I can tell you that I followed a path similar to the one you intend to about two years ago.

I bought a Panasonic HMC41E HD camcorder, which records on SDHC cards, and I am very happy with it. One thing to note however, is that it produces AVCHD video (.MTS files) which I had some trouble with. My old Mac wouldn;t recognise the files without me converting them, and my new iMac is no different. There is a good piece of software called ClipWrap which quickly converts the .MTS files into usable .mov files.

You can see a video I shot on the camera here - English_Country_Garden_v3 - YouTube

Let me know if you have any other questions & good luck!

Here's my camera - Play.com - Buy Panasonic AG HMC41E / AVCHD / HD / PAL / Professional Camcorder online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!
    Last edited by MikeTV; 09-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Hi Mike . .thanks for the advice . . it's appreciated . . . I like the video too mate. .

Im on the lookout for a second hand camera, as looking at the prices, a new one will be out of my price range . . I am currently using a windows based PC . . so ideally looking for an editting software that will work on windows .. i have heard that ADOBE premiere CS6 is meant to be good . . so i may look to trial it . .but one step at a time i think . .

No worries.

I started editing on a PC, and I loved Sony Vegas Platinum - very easy to learn, and has a bunch of tutorials in the program. I am no expert, as I say, but be wary of second hand cameras - make sure you get somebody that knows what they are doing to have a good look before you part with your cash!

Good luck!

Thanks Mike . .
    I will look at the Sony software .. i think they do trial of it . . i think the hard bit is gonna be getting used to the software itself and developing my style in editing . .but im sure it will come .

Thanks for the advice regarding the camera . . i will bear it in mind . . ideally i could do with finding a second hand dealer in cameras . .that way at least there is some warranty . ..

thanks again for you advice

If you see my site there are plenty of hints, tips, tutorials on Sony Vegas and even support if required

Hi Z . . thanks for the links . .Its appreciated . .It's nice to know that there are people out there with the answers if i get stuck . .

thanks again.