Thread: MiniDV to DVD Video Noise Problem

Default MiniDV to DVD Video Noise Problem

I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I have several miniDV tapes I took to a local service to transfer to DVDs. This service uses professional grade equipment to read the tapes. I was however dismayed to find out that some of the DVDs have video noise on them (and loss of audio) in spots that was not on the original tapes when played back on my video camera (JVC GR-DVL815U). In particular, the video noise is a vertical band of broken video often (but not always) on the left side of the screen (the audio tends to drop out during this time). The problem is only in spots with some DVDs worse than others. The gentlemen said the heads on my video camera might have been misaligned when the tapes were recorded so that as long as I played the tapes with the video camera, the video would be clean (i.e., the video on the tape would “match” the head alignment) but using the professional equipment, the video on the tape would be misaligned. The gentleman was going to try pulling the data off the tapes using my video camera but the camera is inoperative. I have been reluctant to get the camera repaired, not only because of the cost but my fear is the repair technician might adjust the head, causing it to be skewed with respect to the tape video (permanently preventing me from getting clean video off the tapes).

Surely I’m not the first person this has happened to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want to lose some precious videos of my young kids. Thanks for any feedback you can provide me.

What part of the camera is inoperative? Surely you can specify "Do not adjust or tamper with the tape heads on the camera under any circumstances, please ONLY fix the issue preventing it from turning on"

Smile It happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by kgrizzaffi View Post
    i have a problem i am hoping someone can help me with. I have several minidv tapes i took to a local service to transfer to dvds. This service uses professional grade equipment to read the tapes. I was however dismayed to find out that some of the dvds have video noise on them (and loss of audio) in spots that was not on the original tapes when played back on my video camera (jvc gr-dvl815u). In particular, the video noise is a vertical band of broken video often (but not always) on the left side of the screen (the audio tends to drop out during this time). The problem is only in spots with some dvds worse than others. The gentlemen said the heads on my video camera might have been misaligned when the tapes were recorded so that as long as i played the tapes with the video camera, the video would be clean (i.e., the video on the tape would “match” the head alignment) but using the professional equipment, the video on the tape would be misaligned. The gentleman was going to try pulling the data off the tapes using my video camera but the camera is inoperative. I have been reluctant to get the camera repaired, not only because of the cost but my fear is the repair technician might adjust the head, causing it to be skewed with respect to the tape video (permanently preventing me from getting clean video off the tapes).

Surely i’m not the first person this has happened to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want to lose some precious videos of my young kids. Thanks for any feedback you can provide me.
    try using another brand of tape like sony but minidv and record somthing in it .to me there is no noise another brand tapes not the head
    recommended to try. Isn"t it

Never mix Sony tapes with other brands. The lubrication from them is different from other tapes and will cause issues on the tape head. It's Ok to use only Sony but just don't mix them.