Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rendering a feature film in vegas

Default rendering a feature film in vegas

Hi everyone,

I'm having a big problem at the momet with rendering a film that runs around 85 minutes in length. I was experiencing an issue when editing in that I could only edit up to 30 minutes in the timeline before I began getting the red screen which made it impossible to continue working so my short term solutution weas to edit the film on 4 seperate timelines and save them as 4 seperate files which I did, the film is now finished and exact to the way I want it but I need to render the film as ONE file which I now cannot do, I have tried copying and pasting each file into a new timeline to create a continuous file but the software (of which is sony vegas studio platinum 11) crashes and just shows me a red screen and wont paste the entirety of what I copied and creates gaps and just makes a mess really, Is there anyway that I can take the 4 timleines and render 1 file cos I need to get this film finished it's been months in post production and I need to clear it efore I go mad.lol.

Thankyou, any advice or opinion is very much welcome and appreciated

Mark

Blog Entries

Yeouch. Nasty! All that work and it won't render. You haven't mentioned formats or the spec of your PC but that shouldn't really matter.

FWIW I've rendered projects > 1 hour without a hitch. Appreciate this isn't 85 mins but ...

Being pragmatic, why don't you render four files. Import them into a new project and render that. Either make the four renders the same format as the intended result or render them as per the souce. Either should result in minimal (if any) loss of quality.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Being pragmatic, why don't you render four files. Import them into a new project and render that.
    He's one step ahead of you Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by markBrown View Post
    Hi everyone,
    my short term solutution weas to edit the film on 4 seperate timelines and save them as 4 seperate files which I did, the film is now finished and exact to the way I want it but I need to render the film as ONE file which I now cannot do,

mark,
    Like TS, I've rendered projects with success the way he has.
    In line with what TS tells you, see if there's something here which may help you and you may have overlooked.
    https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4505
    What's the build of VMStudio Platinum v11 you are using? You should have the latest build at least. And Movie Studio Platinum 12 (64-bit version) may also be worth considering, if you cannot work out the problem.

Setting up a new project with 4 sections of the movie should work fine especially if you set Vegas not to re-render untouched frames this will be (or should be) a very quick render just to stitch the frames together so long as the render settings are all identical.

Hi thanks for the responses, Tim's advice happened to be my initial thought but I was put off doing it because I have been told it does degrade the video quality slightly, even rendering the parts bit by bit I am experiencing glitches in the video files, I'm confused I have reduced the number of rendering threads but still have a low quality render which isn't really watchable on a professional level. I have also used the application to discard unused media to create more breathig space for the project.

I am currently attempting to render to Mainconcept MPEG.2 for DVD purpose and I'm running standard HD Platinum vegas movie studio 11. (do you think I would have encountered this problem if I had just opted for pro right away?)

my computer spec is as follows

Antec Midi Three Hundred with 620 Watt Antec High Current PSU -
    Intel Core I7 2700K {3.50Ghz x 4} Skt 1155 & Maximus IV Extreme MBD -
    16Gb DDR3 1866Mhz Ripjaw Memory {4 x 4Gb} -
    3GB Radeon 7950 HD Pci-E HDMI Graphics adaptor -
    System Drive - 1 x 500GB UDMA 600 16Mb Cache SATA -
    Data Drive - 1 x 2Tb UDMA 600 32Mb Cache SATA -
    (S-ATA/BD-R: 12x/DVD±R: 16x/CD-R: 48x) -
    Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer -
    Windows 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit CD & Licence

do you think I would have encountered this problem if I had just opted for pro right away?)
    I don't think that is the issue as the Pro version and your version are the same basic program but just with less functionality.

Try having a look what else is going on with your computer while rendering. Turn off everything you can like anti virus, fire wall, scheduled updates etc.....

Do some house keeping, how full are your disks, do defrags etc...

thanks midnight. this is how it stands right now, when playing the 4 rendered files through windows media player I encountered alot of jumps and glitches however I have uploaded the 4 mpeg2 files into a vegas timeline and fitted them together and they play perfectly through the preview screen I am now just about to render to mainconcept again with the 4 files together and see how it works out, the render settings will be identical to the settings of all 4 files so I'm assuming from what has been said that the image quality will not degrade if I do this. I'll render and see what happens.

Thanks guys

I've had well-documented issues with DVD creation (fingers crossed now fixed, time will soon tell). However, I can say that VS v10 has saisfactorily rendered 4hours of video files, with audio. It did take overnight (about 20 hrs I recall), but it was left alone to get on with it.

I'm using a Win7 32-bit with max 4G memory and a dual-core processor. also 500Mb in the GRaphics card.

I wonder that OP should look at the Vegas Knowledgebase to check that his Processor is not known for glitches. Also, Vegas Studio requires 32-bit operation, Win will know this and rearrange the hardware, so only 2G will be allocated to VS (this is a Win max-limit, per application - A reference to this is burried somewhere in Sony Creative website, - it could be in their Forum.).

+Might also be worth checking the Graphics card in case that's doing something odd, now that some software can grab extra power as it's needed. Somewhere there are lists of "suitable" graphics cards - presumably Sony has approved these, but IMHO it's far from crystal.

OS
    Vegas Pro is supplied (As I understand), both as 32-bit and 64-bit - which would allow greater use of available memory - but whilst this improves Render-time it should not make any difference to whether it completes or not.

These sorts of issues are particularly annoying and difficult to fathom, IMHO.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-03-2012 at 11:02 PM.

I don't think this is a processor issue in this case anyway. The OP's problem is well-known in VMS 10 and also 11 earlier builds. That's probably why SCS Knowledgebase has this document I referred to in my previous post. See the note near the end of the document
    Our Vegas Pro software has added 64 bit support which dramatically improves support for projects requiring large amounts of system memory.

The later builds of VMS 11 (the latest and last one is 322) have this
    Notable fixes/changes in version 11.0 (Build 283)
    Vegas Movie Studio can now address up to 4 GB of memory when running on a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    I haven't had this kind of problem with these later builds (I have Win7 with 4GB RAM).

The reference to 32-bit/64-bit is buried here
    https://www.custcenter.com/app/answe...d/5050/kw/5050

The new Movie Studio Platinum 12 is available as 32-bit AND 64-bit.
    Last edited by vkmast; 09-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast