Thread: Animated 3D Filmmaking (a crash course)

1. Cool Animated 3D Filmmaking (a crash course)

Last week I gave a talk in which I squeezed an introduction to 3D and a few semesters of film school into 30 minutes. There's a lot of talk of editing in here. Thought you might find it interesting.

Held my attention all the way through, so well done.
    However, the red/gn seaparation didn't work for me, I tried some different colour glasses but no joy - I think the displacement was too much - I wonder does this depend on viewing distance/angle?
    ((40" screen about 10ft away, should be OK.))
    I've tried Anime Studio 8 Debut (but that's 2D ), and something you said about your App was that it figured out the separation and eye-views of the individual shots - sorry, I'm beginning to lose it. but I'm understanding that Anime as 3D generator is not so useful in the examples you showed. Hence the use of a separate generator program.
    - The problem (for me) was that Debut only allows bones on their included characters - and most of them are distinctly cartoon characters familiar to a US audience, but not here if you are trying to recreate Pride and Prejudice, for example. Clearly I need to buy the Pro-version.

I liked yr comments on the Storyboard and the cutouts looks like it might help another project of mine - to make an animated storyboard to interest potential investors in a conventionally filmed TV-show. An animation is much less likel to allow the reader to turn two pages and so miss some vital clue.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Held my attention all the way through, so well done.
    Thank you, vidmanners!

However, the red/gn seaparation didn't work for me, I tried some different colour glasses but no joy - I think the displacement was too much - I wonder does this depend on viewing distance/angle?
    ((40" screen about 10ft away, should be OK.))
    You need red/cyan glasses with the red filter over the left eye in order to see the 3D images. Anaglyph viewing can be kind of funky -- you may need to adjust the color balance on your monitor if the colors don't match up well with your glasses.

I've tried Anime Studio 8 Debut (but that's 2D ), and something you said about your App was that it figured out the separation and eye-views of the individual shots - sorry, I'm beginning to lose it. but I'm understanding that Anime as 3D generator is not so useful in the examples you showed. Hence the use of a separate generator program.
    You could manually do a lot of what my custom app does, but it would be tedious. I believe you can handle the convergence issues that I talk about in Adobe AfterEffects, but that's at least $1000 US -- which you may or may not want to spend.

The problem (for me) was that Debut only allows bones on their included characters - and most of them are distinctly cartoon characters familiar to a US audience, but not here if you are trying to recreate Pride and Prejudice, for example. Clearly I need to buy the Pro-version.
    Interesting. I didn't know Debut had that limitation.

I liked yr comments on the Storyboard and the cutouts looks like it might help another project of mine - to make an animated storyboard to interest potential investors in a conventionally filmed TV-show.
    Cool! Glad to hear my talk helped in some way.