Thread: Frame-rates and Standards in UK

Default Frame-rates and Standards in UK

I like reading reviews of consumer-cameras (today most with Video features), yet often the magazine (UK published) says something like "..and for super smooth video this camera uses HD at 30fps..."

Now it seems to me that 30 should be a US-based format . . like 60fps and that will be NTSC.

Is it lazyness with these reviews or are some cameras being supplied with NTSC and 30/60 fps - not bothering to provide PAL 25/50fps? I wonder what others have found?

If the Importer supplies a review-copy of their latest camera, you think they'd sort out the Spec that will be "in the shops" - even if the Review copy is a US-version for conveneince, let's say. Cynically, I read some of these review and think "This is a cut and paste from the Mfr's blurb"
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-03-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Like with most imports to the UK. They are usually already configured in this case PAL Format, or the camera gives you the option to switch from one to another. I would recommend taking a note of the model number of your choice, and type it into Amazon where you get the spec's and consumer reviews all in good old easy to understand UK English.

Forgive my ignorance. Is PAL becoming less relevent nowadays? I assume 30 may look slightly smoother than 25. Is it only useful when wanting to create DVDs for the UK?

Dunno, Tim, it's far from clear as some BD/DVD players can upscale, but I suspect the fundamentals mean that it's always better to have the Standard and frame-rates correct at the outset.

That was why I posted, as it appears some (UK-mag) writers are getting sloppy with an easy-life "cut and paste" . . . I wonder if they actually make a 5-min vid with each camera to discover the weaknesses . . rather they are very positive which make (this o' cynic) think they are distilling the Mfr's Press Release. Of course as they are really writing for "Stills" consumers (which must represent 98% of the UK photo-buying market), maybe their tech appreciation is at fault . . . in which case they should say "I do not know".