Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Camcorder with external mike (lapel)

  1. #1

    Default Camcorder with external mike (lapel)

    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't figure out which to put it under.

    I'm looking for a camcorder that will allow me to use an external lapel mike. I'm using it to record the referee in a rugby game.

    I need suggestions on the camcorder itself (hopefully under 300 pounds) and also the mike.

    Thanks
    Cody

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,842
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Do you mean a referee on the pitch? If so you'll need a wireless system and you can wave goodbye to your 300 on just that.
    Tim

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Do you mean a referee on the pitch? If so you'll need a wireless system and you can wave goodbye to your 300 on just that.

    Yes the referee on the pitch, I know the mike is more expensive, but the camera was were the price range is.

  4. #4

    Default

    I can not recommend any camera for that price range to do this type of job.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    cluxmann, are you connected with the Ref? - or is your purpose to record what he says to the players?

    ((+I don't think you've given sufficient info, FWIW.))

    If it's the former, that may make it possible to provide him with a portable recorder (Memo-types being considerably under budget), - but there is no video - just a Voice record which you retrieve after the match.

    If you are trying to record Audio+Vid during the match as a member of the Public, then I doubt it can be done, even for double yr budget - the main issue being that Refs can be at almost any position - so the mic needs to be clipped onto the Ref. as others have suggested a radio-mic is the best solution (although you will lose visual-contact if you are at ground-level).
    ....Hope that helps....

    I don't think you've given sufficient info, FWIW.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    cluxmann, are you connected with the Ref? - or is your purpose to record what he says to the players?

    I don't think you've given sufficient info, FWIW.
    Yes I'm connected with the ref, the goal is to watch the game to view the preventative management, so the video is fairly important as is the audio.

    Is it possible to sync a recorder to a video post game with software?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,842
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It's easy to sync afterwards. Vidmanners is on the button. From the ref's point of view, carrying a portable recorder is no different to carrying a transmitter. The whole packahe would be quite a bit cheaper too.
    The downside is you cannot monitor the audio while the match is on. Even with a radio mic, I guess you wouldn't be able to hold up the match while youmake any necessary adjustments so this isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
    However, if you go down this route make sure you set the levels properly first a ref demonstrating his shouts to you is not likely to be as loud as when he's i full flow. But I guess the whistle will trump all. In fact I wonder whether the whistle will be so much louder that you'd be better off allowing that to distort (and use a separate recording of the whistle for the final product).
    Tim

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's easy to sync afterwards. Vidmanners is on the button. From the ref's point of view, carrying a portable recorder is no different to carrying a transmitter. The whole packahe would be quite a bit cheaper too.
    The downside is you cannot monitor the audio while the match is on. Even with a radio mic, I guess you wouldn't be able to hold up the match while youmake any necessary adjustments so this isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
    However, if you go down this route make sure you set the levels properly first a ref demonstrating his shouts to you is not likely to be as loud as when he's i full flow. But I guess the whistle will trump all. In fact I wonder whether the whistle will be so much louder that you'd be better off allowing that to distort (and use a separate recording of the whistle for the final product).
    That's great, not to worried about monitoring it during the game, just after as an assessment tool.

    Any suggestions on camcorder or portable recorder?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    I've not owned a Zoom recorder,(about 75), but suspect they are like my own SDHC recorder - so this would have AGC (auto-level) - but then I expect any 35 Memo-recorder will too (which tend to use only internal memory - DYOR). Zoom-type recorder will be good for music, so is the pref choice IMHO.

    I'm with TimStannard as I suspect loud shouts are probably best distorted and the whistle will pretty obvious.

    If the referee is providing you wth a "roving report" then the weight of a portable recorder won't be excessive and most "radio-mics" have a bulky transmitter-pack and the inconvenient extra wiring, which might snag during a match.

    Video is a different issue as you'll need to cover the match from "both-ends" to be reasonably sure there is nothing missing . . . the budget camcorders will be OK in sunlight - but as most matches are iin the dark (winter weather) then you really need something with good low-light capabilities and the camcorders need to be supported on sturdy tripods (pref. by an intelligent assistant)......if you can arrage this, it might make for a whole-view of what's going on . . . I presume that is the purpose . . .

    However, decent low-light is a curious fish to catch - as all cameras claim it, yet in truth few are up to the task. I suspect you may need to pay quite a lot more for good kit - are you chums with the local TV station - if they cover the Match they might give you some footage...
    Wow!

    Good luck.

    Good Luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Lapel Wireless Microphone for a consumer camcorder
    By zoi555 in forum Sound Recording and Audio Editing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
  2. Which portable external camcorder monitor?
    By Peter Dow in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
  3. Camcorder as an external hard drive?
    By Solarwhisper in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
  4. No sound on video due to external mike problem??
    By nickib in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
  5. External Sources vs In Camcorder Mic
    By TDP4 in forum Sound Recording and Audio Editing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •