Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Sofia & Paulo

1. Default Wedding Sofia & Paulo

Hi there!

Please, check out our new video, this time a coverage of a wedding.

We welcome criticism, all kind of feedback is appreciated!

Regards

Blog Entries

It was OK. It had a lot of the right sort of shots but I didn't think they all came off as well as they could - either not quite framed correctly (odd bits of bodies chopped off) or cuts at not quite the right place.

But I think the biggest proble is the B&G didn't really look comfortable at all. i don't know whether this was because they semed to be posing all the time or whether they'd been forced into the marriage. In only one or two shots did it look like thy were genuinely smiling.

I don't mind seeing a photographer in the odd shot but here we saw quite a lot of the tog and videographer. And they's turned up in jeans and trainers to film a wedding! I think it's unprofessional to turn up like that and even worse to leave it in the video as it detracts. Of couse if the B&G specifically asked for that it's not my place to argue.

Sorry if that's too harsh.
    Tim

Very nice quality and most are nicely framed shots. It would have been nice to hear some ambient audio, especially the vows.
    My criticism, which starts after the fabulous opening shot, tracking up the aisle to the view of the bride at the alter followed by . . . the bride and father walking up the aisle!?? . . .Then your 2nd op in shot carrying his slide cam.
    Then there are the huge amount of jump cuts. Holding hands - jump to signing register - jump to confetti throwing, and the biggest slow hand clap goes to the fat arsed, badly dressed, tog, who it seems, just had to be in every shot. Couldn't you talk and share shot space?
    "I'm sure the couple will be thrilled" is no excuse for an edit which could be made 10 times better, by adding cutaways between the jump cuts. Try this + add some audio from the vows and see the massive difference
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

4. Default

First of all, thanks for all your comments. We welcome every bit of them, since they will help us improving our work.

This was our first wedding coverage and we actually offered ourselves to do it, since the bride is my cousin and we could really use some more portfolio work. Considering this, we were not so much a paid team, but guests that every once in a while would pick up all the equipment and would shoot the most important moments of the day. This explains why the photographer appears so much in the video.

We're aware that the first two shots should be switched, since the first one shows the bride already at the aisle, followed by the shot that shows her way to same place, but this was a risk that we decided to take. All the other shots done with the slider had some details that made it impossible to use them, and the video shouldn't start with a static image. We only did this because most of the people didn't notice this "error", which was actually an experiment we did right when we finished the editing process.

Any other suggestion is really welcome!

I Echo Tim's comments on this. To be honest I thought amateurish. What you have to remember is although you did this for friends and family that's no excuse. they will show it to their friends as well. I used to generate further bookings in this way by word of mouth. I never needed to advertize the guests did all that for me, by my turning out a well presented presentation.

Everyone is usually dressed in their very best at a Wedding. I was horrified to see the Videographer and the Photographer dressed in Jeans this is a big No No, Suite and tie every time out of respect.

Guests at the venue will pick up on this no question so any chance of repeat business goes straight out of the window, plus scruffy turnout could well mean a lousy production.

Sorry but if you are serious about covering Weddings you need to get your act together.

Blog Entries

Following up CW's comments I've though a bit more about this.

Firstly, the dress code at weddings may well be differen where this is filmed than here in the UK. Maybe only the wedding party dress up (indeed the groom didn't look particularly tidy). So maybe I was out of order.I'm also not sure that suit and tie is necessary in the UK - in a way smart black trousers, black shoes and a black polo shirt are more workman like and help one blend into the background (a white shirt will always grab attention if it creeps into the video) Best chat with the B&G first.

As for the friends and family - if they can't afford a pro and someone offers to do it for free, why not? This is better than something recorded by uncle Fred. And it's an OK start to ask among peers what neds to be improved. If, as I understand it, this is what AWEpictures is trying to do then so be it - we all have to start somewhere (it's a hell of a lot better than a wedding I did for a friend in my first year of filming - there again I was never looking to get into filming weddings).

However, I totally agree that this is not the piece to use to promote your business. I'd leave it out of your potfolio but learn from it.
    Tim

Dress code says a whole heck of a lot about you the Videographer in public as a professional.

In this case Wedding guests can dress in what ever they choose. Would you buy a house from a guy that's dressed in T shirt and shorts. I don't think so. It gives the impression that you are not really interested , but busy in the middle of some thing else in other words hurry up.

A Wedding event is the most important event of some ones life so it should be treated that way. If you have ever wondered why you don't get the punters you should address this first.

I see many, many togs in the UK who are downwind of the scruffy side, but videographers, as a rule are normaly smartly dressed. You've more chance of blending in, in a suit and tie (wedding) than jeans and trainers.
    I'm very glad that AWE hasn't taken his bat home re the negative comments, as this was, (first wedding video), a very valianl effort and I sincerely hope he watches, listens and learns to improve on his efforts.
    Filming and editing weddings isn't easy, I've just filmed one that sky TV refused to film, cause the thought of cocking it up scared the pants off them, despite their skills.
    Persevere AWE! The rewards, when you do achieve pleasing continuity and an understanding of filming to edit, are unsurpassed.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Interesting thread, as filming a wedding for the first time is (must be) quite scaring... I wonder if I´ll ever have my first time one day too! Some good shots there, some showing that you´ve been following other works on the web too. I watch wedding videos at Vimeo in order to get "ideas", learn some basic shots etc... Just trying to educate my eyes. It´s a good training that you can follow too.

The photographer in jeans was really absurd! Total lack of respect. You should avoid her showing at any shot.... Even if she was the bride´s sister! Bad bad contrast with all the rest.

Another point that was a bit weird.... The bride´s legs! Beautiful legs for sure, but some shots were a bit too sexy perhaps??? And that coming from a brazilian man, ehh? I saw that the table (mesa) names were in portuguese. Where was the wedding?

great effort! keep walking!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Dress code says a whole heck of a lot about you the Videographer in public as a professional.
    I agree absolutely, which is why I raised it in the first place. But, as I said, there may be differences in what's generally accepted between here in the UK and wherever the wedding was filmed. Having drawn attention to the the issue I thought i'd give the benefit of the doubt.

Agree with TonyBR about the legs as well - a little on the "over done" side.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast