Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film noir 2.0 - lighting test

Default film noir 2.0 - lighting test

Hello,

I used two different lighting schemes to see if I can capture the film noir effect -- I used a light in front and back for "Snakes" and lights on either side for "Johnny" -- personally I like Johnny's lighting better, but feedback appreciated.

If you aren't familiar with the Johnny and Snakes scene from Home Alone, then the actual content probably won't make a lot of sense -- particularly since I mixed in some lines from Johnny's scene in Home Alone 2 as well. I also added a couple of reactions hots where Snakes doesn't catch Johnny's drift (that's the best part).

Zam

Blog Entries

johnny looks loads better to me (certainly more noir). More contrast, more shadows. Snakes looks flat by comparison.
    Tim

personally I like Johnny's lighting better
    I agree his lighting is much nicer.

thanks guys

one thing I just realized is that Johnny also received some light reflected by the mirror -- in the key frame that YouTube selected (see above) you can see the 120 watt light shining through the door on the left and you can see the door handle shadow from the 250 watt light on the ground to the right but you can also see reflected light in the mirror -- as it turns out there was a 60 watt room light on behind the camera -- if I can recreate this setup I'll be all set!

Nice footage, but yr right, it made no sense to me, other than I'd be pretty smug if it was mine.

I did notice the "elevator" shot appeared to be reversed and I was trying to see if there were two actors, or one with a very good second-voice. Er, what happens next?

Thank you!

I did a "horizontal flip" on some of the footage to try to stick to the "180 degree rule" (although in Canadian cinema it is more of a "guideline").

The original scene can be found here (not sure which version is better since I don't have access to YouTube ATM):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dGOfFbzvq4
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=asluUWl56Sk

I also used a couple of lines from this scene, which features the one and only Tim Curry (he is awesome as usual):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fqaNNXQMk

There are also hundreds (if not thousands) of online "tribute" versions of the Johnny and Snakes scene (some better than others):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0S6kywxajc
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQAervLr6Qg
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_PoEziJE3Q
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEvfDZsOlg

When I first watched your movie I thought it was ridiculous but our new class assignment is to break into teams and work from the following script.

Gangster 'Johnny': [hears knock at door] Who is it?
    Gangster 'Snakes': [Snakes comes in] It's me, Snakes. I got the stuff.
    Gangster 'Johnny': Leave it on the doorstep and get the hell outta here.
    Gangster 'Snakes': All right, Johnny, but what about my money?
    Gangster 'Johnny': What money?
    Gangster 'Snakes': Acey said you had some dough for me.
    Gangster 'Johnny': That a fact? How much do I owe ya?
    Gangster 'Snakes': Acey said 10%.
    Gangster 'Johnny': [smirks] Too bad Acey ain't in charge no more.
    Gangster 'Snakes': What do ya mean?
    Gangster 'Johnny': He's upstairs takin' a bath. He'll call you when he gets out.
    [pause]
    Gangster 'Johnny': Hey, I tell ya what I'm gonna give *you*, Snakes.
    [pulls out machine gun]
    Gangster 'Johnny': I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property,
    [shouts]
    Gangster 'Johnny': before I pump your guts full of lead!
    Gangster 'Snakes': [wide eyed and calm] All right, Johnny, I'm sorry. I'm goin'!
    Gangster 'Johnny': 1... 2... 10!
    [starts unloading bullets into Snakes while laughing maniacally]
    Gangster 'Johnny': Keep the change, ya filthy animal!

You changed it a bit but it's still pretty close. Do you have any tips for my team???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hillary Dale View Post
    When I first watched your movie I thought it was ridiculous but our new class assignment is to break into teams and work from the following script.
    I don't understand your point. Zam said he'd taken the lines directly from Home Alone and Home Alone 2.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hillary Dale View Post
    You changed it a bit but it's still pretty close. Do you have any tips for my team???
    My Tip: There is no close-up interaction between the characters so you can pick the best locations for each character and film their respective parts separately. Use an ambient noise track to sew the two parts together (I used street noise plus a thunderstorm). Always put someone off-camera in the exact same spot as the other actor should be so the on-camera actor has someone to look at (I forgot to do this so you will see Johnny looking directly at the camera a couple of times by mistake). Use the same camera position relative to the two actors in both locations (I had to flip some of the footage to correct for not doing this properly) or you will break the 180 degree rule. You can see my comments about lighting in this thread. That's it!

Zam

Enjoyed watching this video Zam ... I preferred the lighting on Johnny if pushed to choose but overall thought it was well shot.

Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast