Thread: Software Recommendation for Guitarist

Default Software Recommendation for Guitarist

Hello!

First-timer to the forum, nice to meet ya.

Here's my question: I'm an absolute newb when it comes to video editing and all its nuances. Seriously, I know nothing about it all. That said, I have some neat gadgets for recording my electro-acoustic guitar songs straight to my computer. As for the video of me playing, I just use the webcam.

Here's my question: I'd like to make a video of a song that requires two independent guitar parts, which I would record separately and then sync up. This video illustrates what I'm talking about: Power Rangers Theme (Split-Screen Cover) - YouTube (I know it says "Power Rangers" but the cover is still badass, check it out.)

Is it possible to do this on WMM so I wouldn't even have to buy a new program? If so, are there any tutorials available? What's a user-friendly, cheap, bare essentials movie-editing program that could get the job done otherwise?

I will say kind things about you if you can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Welcome,
    WMM will be OK for basic editing, cutting out errors, bits where someone gets in the way, or the Landlord rings the bell.

What's yr camcorder?

Are you recording vids for private record, or are you hoping to promote yr music . . . and so need a Professional result?

Editing is both Easy and Difficult - the more you do it, the harder it seems to be, since your standards will be raised. When you watch the DVD you notive the faults and the process starts again . . . . (although oddly Pros get it right first-time!).

(( WMM is rather too simple IMHO. )).
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-02-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I'm ghetto as hell, the video will be recorded with my webcam. I'm not particularly interested in making the cleanest, snazziest video (wrong forum I guess?). Recording my music for friends is just a hobby.

Really, all I want to do is find a cheap video editor that will allow for multiple videos to be played simultaneously. Ideally, a neat little frame for each instrument.

All input is appreciated.

I don't think you will be able to edit more than one track in WMM. You might have to spend some money (under 30) on something like Sony Movie Studio to do that. You can download a fully featured 30 day free trial.

Thank you for the response and software suggestion, Midnight. I think I found something that did the trick for now.

So I assume you would need some sort of professional level editor to make something like this? Wine Glasses - Nine Screens - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCrunchOwns View Post
    Thank you for the response and software suggestion, Midnight. I think I found something that did the trick for now.

So I assume you would need some sort of professional level editor to make something like this? Wine Glasses - Nine Screens - YouTube
    The ability to make something like this video is not down to the software so much as a well planned shoot. If you had the skill, you could make that video on a very basic editing set up, all you need is the ability to have enough tracks. I think most editing software around 50 would be able to do the job.

Glad you got sorted.

Good ideas as always, folks - let's assume he get a modest HD camcorder/camera...

As I recall for HD, OP needs to free download Windows Live Movie Maker (on Win7 PC) and that will limit him to ~2 video-tracks . . . Arrgh.
    Vegas Studio v10/11 were 10 tracks (and another 10 for audio which might come in useful, provided he has a large Monitor), I understand VS v12 which is out now (but not on Amazon it seems?), has increased the number of tracks. However, for a Newbee Editor I suggest Four vids is enough, plus one for titles . . . for the first two weeks, anyway.

Agree a digital camcorder is likely to make things easier as that's what the software is designed to handle. I use Vegas but OP was after simple and you have to get into the Editor software, although it seems like second-nature now. V10 did Picture in Picture - but that's only a single frame (anyone?) - so if OP wants multiple frames like in a CCTV viewing room, on one monitor that might be an issue. However, convention is that you switch between the players as they do something interesting, so a cutaway to the drummer as he crashes the cymbal, etc.
    Not so sure the viewers won't be confused if they see all at once - although their own performance would be good for the whole show, no doubt.

The all means OP needs to spend some money (and on-camera audio won't do it, either) as well as take Time-off to learn Editing skills, unless he knows someone that will do it for him.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-04-2012 at 01:07 AM.