Thread: Cat project

Default Cat project

This is a video that i recorded and edited yesterday, it could have been made a lot better but given the amount of time i had for this.. ..it is what it is, would like to hear your comments and suggestions so please dont hold back trying to be nice, i wont get insulted thanx!
    Last edited by ibanezfrelon; 08-29-2012 at 10:35 AM.

An interesting idea to shoot from the perspective of a cat but I'm afraid the video failed to engage me. I just felt it lacked something. It's the sort of film that should have a twist at the end or some sort of punch line.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    An interesting idea to shoot from the perspective of a cat but I'm afraid the video failed to engage me. I just felt it lacked something. It's the sort of film that should have a twist at the end or some sort of punch line.
    i agree, thanx!

4. Default

Technically, I thought it was great. Really well shot and a great choice of music.

But one of the best pieces of writing advice I've read was "make sure every character wants something, even if it's just a sandwich." And I think that really applies here. The only time where I really felt like the cat wanted anything was in the sequence where it runs up the tree to escape the children, which for me, was the best bit. If you'd set it up so that the cat was looking for food, for example, it might've been more engaging, then you could do sequences like rummaging in the bins, trying to steal it from kitchens or other cats, trying and failing to catch much faster animals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    Technically, I thought it was great. Really well shot and a great choice of music.

But one of the best pieces of writing advice I've read was "make sure every character wants something, even if it's just a sandwich." And I think that really applies here. The only time where I really felt like the cat wanted anything was in the sequence where it runs up the tree to escape the children, which for me, was the best bit. If you'd set it up so that the cat was looking for food, for example, it might've been more engaging, then you could do sequences like rummaging in the bins, trying to steal it from kitchens or other cats, trying and failing to catch much faster animals, etc.
    great advice! thanx man!

Blog Entries

I've just realised why this didn't appeal to me. It's just a stream of nicely filmes shots, some with little dramas, linked by fades through black. We don't see life like that and I don't imaging for one second cats to either. We look here, we look there. We don't fade out from one bit of life we're concentrating on to another. We achieve this in cinema (to hide the boring bits which in real life we skip over) with cutaways.

And that's what this film needs - "cataways".

Watch any cat and their eyes (head in fact) conituously dart left and right as they are on the look out for enemies or prey. If you could have liked the little scebnes with cutaways rather than what became monotonous fades through black, I think it might have more appeal.
    Tim

The original plan was for it to look like cat's flashbacks, like in a dream or something. That's why i faded the shots to black. The shots were very improvised, non planned, shot while walking with my son Matija (he is in few shots also). I was trying out my new DSLR shoulder rig for the first time.
    I see that it gets boring halfway through and more boring toward the end. Actualy, now i'm sorry that i rushed with the edit when i should have record some more stuf to make the video more interesting. Next time..
    Thanx Tim!

Also liked the "jump to the "tree"" shot and "climb the wall" shot. They were probably the closest ones to cat´s eyeview? The scene with the dog in the beginning had the opposite effect, since a dog would never "let it go in silence a close cat"!! But hey, good idea!! Like you, I also look for advice here AFTER the film was uploaded at vimeo!!! But....is there another way??