Thread: Rendering mov files

Default Rendering mov files

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Basically the issue I'm having is with footage I've shot with a Zoom Q3HD which is a handy flip style video recorder, excellent for recording audio. The video is average for HD, but overall it's replaced my Mini DV in most areas of filming especially gigs where the sound is much better on the Q3HD.

But it records in Mov files and I can't work out how to render them best. I tried rendering to Mov but there were loads of different options and most left the video looking very poor in quality. I've tried various different formats and I can't even remember now what looked best, but most times there was some issue with either the file playing back at all on VLC, the file not rendering with the settings I selected, the video being blocky, or jerky or out of sync, or poor sound or very large. Basically I just want the quality to be roughly as good as the raw file, but not massive sized, and the same aspect ration as well as keeping good sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions for render settings? I'm using sony Vegas pro 10.0 and the files are in 1920 X 1080 aspect ratio, 25 fps. I think I ended up using Mpeg2 for the last render I did, but I had to scale down the resolution to 720 because it wouldn't render at 1920x1080.

Sorry that despite using a top program I am somewhat inexperienced with render settings.

Thanks for any help offered!

What are you Project Settings?

What do you want to do with the final render?

. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    What are you Project Settings?

What do you want to do with the final render?

. . . . .
    Hi thanks for your help.

I mainly want to put the clip on youtube, but would like the end file to be good quality that I can also play back on my computer. Putting it on a DVD might be something I would do later, but really I just want to preserve a good picture since it's HD, good sound and keep the aspect ratio the same. A 2 and a half minute clip in mov format direct from my zoom camera is coming to around 150mb and I'm fine with that size but I don't want something that's going to be really huge if I can help it, because like I said I would like to upload to youtube and the finished video's will be 5 to 10 mins long. If there are different settings for different end usages then I can render more than one version, that's ok as long as I can upload to youtube in good quality and keep a high quality original.

My project settings -

I selected "HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps)" since that matches the resolution and fps, but maybe i should go for a custo setting?

I left the field order as it was (Upper field first) pixel aspect ratio - 1.0000 (Square), pixel format - 8 bit, full resolution rendering quality - best,
    motion blur type - guassian, deinterlace method - none.