Thread: Dance music with some CGI

Default Dance music with some CGI

A band let me use their basic video footage. I added effects, created some animated sequences; and then edited it all together.
    Other than the clip being crude and childish, I thought it was fun. So I am posting a link here.

I would think the younger generation would love this. The animations were great. What programme did you use Tim?

So much effort goes into just a few seconds with animation. I'm glad there are people like you around Tim. I think you integrated your bits with their bits well. I thought the dancing aliens were great.

Thank you for your kind comments.
    Animation by "Poser Pro 2010" (Poser for Intermediate 3D Artists & Animators), a fairly cheap application. A basic graphics app for general purposes. Adobe AE to apply various silly video effects (to stills, live footage and output from Poser). Premiere to stick it all together.

Blog Entries

Did you do the dancing aliens, Tim? If so have you made a great leap forward Tim or has the software? The animated Aliens' movements (dance moves?) seemed to be much more natural. Real biology and physics seemed to come into the way they moved. Very impressed.
    Tim

The Alien character is a standard 'character' in the software, their movements came from a publicly available library of motion capture data. Setting up the dancing Aliens took around 3 hours (and then 18 hrs for the PC to generate the frames). Whilst the results appear more natural, the motion capture file format (BVH) is not immediately useable by Poser, leading to some unwanted rotations of limbs; and to a 'sliding feet' problem. This clip encourages the viewer to overlook these oddities by creating a wholly unreal environment. But, it would have looked very unnatural had I showed humans on a non-refective floor.
    So, no; I have not cracked how to move people successfully.
    It took 3 hours to setup 'Poser' to do 60 secs of dancing (although I only used about 20 secs). It took the PC 18 hrs to generate the frames.

Blog Entries

Thanks Tim. Just shows how easily the eye/brain is fooled. I did say "seemed to be more natural". But fictional film.video is all about make believe - were not watching people at all, just dots on a screen, when it comes down to it. Certainly fit for purpose in this case.

I can't begin to imagine the feeling when you're waiting for 18 hours for something to render to see if it looks good or not. I guess we expect too much immediately nowadays. It really wasn't that long ago that we had to wait a week for our snaps to be developed by Boots.
    Tim

I cannot imagine. maybe it is interesting