Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in After Effects tutorial?

Default Anyone interested in After Effects tutorial?

Heya People I'm kinda new to this forum :P but I've recently become addicted to after effects after finding out about it and i eventually made a tutorial for it... Its my first time making stuff like this (was really nervous for some reason!) but it would be nice if anyone can give me feedback (no trolling) where i can improve it? After Effects For Noobs - YouTube
    Last edited by InfCore; 08-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.

I could hear you were nervous. What else did you think needed improving? I find that many on-line tutorials are very slow. Although video has the ability to demo aspects of software quickly; many creators then slow down the process by adding unhelpful comments. The other difficulty is that the information they claim to be giving may sometimes misleading or wrong.
    I think you have done quite well, and I don't want to appear critical. If I had done it, I might think:
    1) If the tutorials is new new users, why are we going straight into learning an advanced function; and having to spend time being told about buttons at the top of the screen?
    2) Is the information clear? Why is the new user being told their sequence "should be" 720*480. If there was a special reason, then why not tell the User what it is.
    3) Is there any timewasteing? The stuff about "control/d" being like "copying and pasting" was followed by commentary alike "yeah.. its alot faster".

I think you will do very well, but you should consider how teachers do their work. I have never done an online tutorial, so you are certainly better than me. Well done for trying.

Just a thought but how about doing this the other way round, creating a blockbuster after effect first. Then a Tutorial on how you did it.

For me your video was a bit long winded I gave up after 4 minutes. Well done for trying though good first effort. Take some tips from other tutorial videos. The main point these days is keeping the viewer interested all the way through by keeping it short and to the point.

Blog Entries

Hi InfCore and welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly and frank advice here - the bods here like to help people we can see are making an effort.

Firstly, please don't tell us not to troll! The helpful folk here will feel insulted that you even consider they might troll and the trolls would simply ignore it! Fortunately we don't suffer from trolls here and if someone tries, they tend to get jumped on pretty quickly.

So, to your vid. TimA's comments are always great - he never suggests anythiong is bad but asks one to consider why somthing is this way or that way, which is much more useful. CW's comment is fair but you sort of do this anyway - although you scrub through the completed sequence rather than hit the play button (or better still play it in a separate media player window). I think it's a good idea to do what you've done here and build a simple effect using just a few tools.

I don't know AE so I would be the newbie at whom it is aimed.

I did not find it slow exactly (though there were certainly times when I wished you'd just get on with it "Now, what we need here ... is ..er... maybe a backgound....Yes! A backgound"), but I did find it a little confusing. For example you load some text and then scale it using the selection tool and then demo scaling using "this on the side". It might be helpful first to point out that when the text is selected, there are lots of attributes which can be changed and these all appear in the "Character tab". This would draw our attention to it and enable us to make a bit more sense of where you're clicking rather than just some seemingly random "this on the side". You also didn't make it clear that scaling by selecting the corner nodes (for want of a better word) enables you to scale in either X or Y whereas changing the pixel size doesn't. Maybe that's too much info for now though so maybe you're right.

You have to be very careful with the words you use. If I followed your instructions verbatim, I suspect I'd give up almost immediately "First of all I'm ging to use the text tool to type in After .....". You really need to explain hat you need to select the tool, then click on the workspace in order for this to work. Yes but it's obvious. To you perhaps, and I'd make a reasonable guess at it, but your screen capture software doesn't show where you're clicking (it's difficult enough to follow the cursor) so you need to be explicit in this.

You the follow up with "when I've created this text I've also created a new layer in this timeline" Implies you've done something. Better to say something like "When I create this text, After Effects automatically creates this new layer in the timeline ...." That way i'm not left wondering if I should be doing something to create this layer.

You get my drift ...?

Creating a foolproof set of instructions is not at all easy - have you ever tried the "how to make a cup of tea" exercise?

Also try to structure it even better (I suspect you presented this from a list/sequence - possibly just memorised - rather than a script) but you resize text, go off in a tangent about duplicateing, then show a different method of resizing text. There is no reason you shouldn't show the two methods of resizing together - this would be helpful for people who wanted just to review (for example) text resizing.

As an aside, and an extesion to one of TimA's comments, I note you're setting in your project is NTSC. You sound very British and I guess you are in Blighty. Is there some reason you are using US TV settings rather than the British PAL system?

This sounds like a lot of criticism, but trust me, it's not and thse are all things which can be easily improved with more planning. The screen capture is good and clear (I'd prefer something to highlight the mouse and especially mouse clicks, but it's a good start). Your audio, whilst suffering from occasional "breath" noise (you're using a headset, yes?) and rather unnaturally warm sounding) is nice and clear and you speak clearly and not too fast - 90% tutorials on YT fail that test so you're immediately in the top 10%.

I know it's tedious, but I'd suggest scripting the process and going through it several times to check all the actions work properly first time. Ideally get someone else to follow the instrucions and the amend the script to account for any inaccuracies.

On the whole this was a pretty good first effort and I'm sure subsequent ones will show rapid improvement.

Hope that helps ...
    Tim

Hi , I have no experience of after effects at all, I found your video very interesting, I know this is not as detailed a review as the previous experts, and I dont wish to contradict their helpful pointers at all, in fact I have learned from their comments too. but just to let you know your video has inspired me to have a look further at the programe feeling I know now some of its capabilities , layout and and usage, and learned a lot from it. A worthy video which I am sure will be of use to many. Your style came across to me as very relaxed and watchable.
    Last edited by s607; 08-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Sorry TimStannard about the trolling thing (I was scared if random people would immediately start hating on me :P) but thanks again everyone for the feedbacks and I will try and improve on what you all said!
    Yes I am from Britain and this might be a bit embarrassing to say but I myself do not understand the NTSC setting :( (I did say I was recently addicted to After Effects) but like everyone else I'm always learning more and more about new stuff !
    I did use a head set for this (might need to adjust it next time) and I like the idea of a script as well (to be honest i just hit record then started talking with no preparations besides from my memory of how I made the intro)
    All your feedbacks have really helped thanks so much ^^

Ok then Paulears I might give a shot at another video next week and actually script it and also include reasons to why I'm using such functions and tools.. That point about not giving reasons is quite true so thanks for reminding me that

I suspect you will get more successful results by adding the audio *after* recording the video. That would allow you to edit the video (to remove any unhelpful actions), and include some closeups of sections of the screen. You would then fit your script to the different sections. (Perhaps you are already planning that, as reading a script whilst demoing software is probably impossible).
    I would be inclined for your next video to cover the same area; not a new subject. That way you can more clearly see how much better it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I would be inclined for your next video to cover the same area; not a new subject. That way you can more clearly see how much better it is.
    You may feel reluctant to do this as it's covering old ground, but I think this is a very worthwhile idea.

EDIT: It's even more worthwhile in that if you think about it, people watching what will hopefully become a series of tutorials are likely to start with number one. So you want to make that as good as possible to ensure that they watch number two.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast