Thread: AVCHD Streaming Issues

Default AVCHD Streaming Issues

I would like my Full HD home videos to be streamed to my Panasonic DMP-BDT110 DLNA certified Blu ray player from a NAS. Befor spending money on a NAS, I just trialed, using my Lenovo Intel i7 running Windows 7 with 8GB memory laptop. Played 3 formats, m2t (this is the Panasonic camcorder HD format), AVI and mpg through, Corel Video Studio X4 Pro software I use for editing, WMP12 that came with this laptop and the Panasonic Blu ray on DLNA set-up using Twonky server on my laptop. The video files are in my laptop.
    1. X4 plays Avi and mpg fine and the m2t motion is fine but there a constant rhythmic flicker. Why is this?
    2. WMP12 plays all three format ferfectly.
    3. BDT110 does not play Avi, m2t plays but stops momentarily and starts again and continues to do so, mpg plays fine for a while but after a while stops/starts. Why is this?I thought if I converted all AVCHD to mpg it would be fine but it does not appear to be so.

Where is my problem? the BDT110 or my laptop not quite replicating a NAS or the Twonky server software? Or is it something else?
    any help from anyone will be very much appreciated.
    Regards
    William

I suspect there are 3 areas which may cause problems.
    1) whether or not the 'server' software is able to handle the particular file formats, and whether it is attempting to convert the file.
    2) whether or not the playing device can handle the file correctly.
    3) whether or not the transmission system is capable of delivering the file fast enough.

It is not enough to state that a device will play 'avi' files. The AVI standard can store its video in different formats. I recommend using a tool like GSPOT or MEDIAINFO to get a clearer identification of the size and codecs of all the clips.

I also advise looking carefully at the spec (inm the manual) for the Panasonic device. It may give a clearer description of exactly what files it can handle.
    If you are using 'wireless' to connect your devices, see whether it works more efficiently using a hardwired (ie. Ethernet) connection.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I suspect there are 3 areas which may cause problems
    1) whether or not the 'server' software is able to handle the particular file formats, and whether it is attempting to convert the file.
    2) whether or not the playing device can handle the file correctly.
    3) whether or not the transmission system is capable of delivering the file fast enough.

It is not enough to state that a device will play 'avi' files. The AVI standard can store its video in different formats. I recommend using a tool like GSPOT or MEDIAINFO to get a clearer identification of the size and codecs of all the clips.

I also advise looking carefully at the spec (inm the manual) for the Panasonic device. It may give a clearer description of exactly what files it can handle.
    If you are using 'wireless' to connect your devices, see whether it works more efficiently using a hardwired (ie. Ethernet) connection.
    1. I have not been able to find out what formats the server software can handle.
    2. BDT110 can play (DivX HD, MP3, JPEG, WMV and AVCHD). I tried WMV today ad ther was no playback.
    3. I have Virginmedia 20M Hub and devices are connected by TP-Link 200Mbps plugged into the household electrical supply.

Where should I concentrate my research?
    Regards

You reported that "m2t plays but stops momentarily and starts again and continues to do so, mpg plays fine for a while but after a while stops/starts".
    Do they play correctly if the files are put onto an SD Card, and then played back from the Panasonic device?
    If so, then the issue may be because the laptop cannot read the file fast enough (or its software cannot transmit the file fast enough); or that the TP-Link is not good enough. I would then suggest testing it by directly connecting the Laptop to the Panasonic, using an Ethernet cable; and bypassing the TP-Link.

I am interested to learn your results. I don't yet have a Panasonic player. I currently run Ethernet around the house and stream files from any home PC to my Panasonic TV.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 09-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    You reported that "m2t plays but stops momentarily and starts again and continues to do so, mpg plays fine for a while but after a while stops/starts".
    Do they play correctly if the files are put onto an SD Card, and then played back from the Panasonic device?
    If so, then the issue may be because the laptop cannot read the file fast enough (or its software cannot transmit the file fast enough); or that the TP-Link is not good enough. I would then suggest testing it by directly connecting the Laptop to the Panasonic, using an Ethernet cable; and bypassing the TP-Link.

I am interested to learn your results. I don't yet have a Panasonic player. I currently run Ethernet around the house and stream files from any home PC to my Panasonic TV.
    >>Do they play correctly if the files are put onto an SD Card, and then played back from the Panasonic device?<< The native Panasonic camcorder HD file "MTS" on the SD card plays fine just as it does on the camcorder. I copied a m2t file which is converted by Corel X4 into AVCHD. The panasonic Blu ray did not see that at all. <<
    >> I would then suggest testing it by directly connecting the Laptop to the Panasonic, using an Ethernet cable; and bypassing the TP-Link.<< When the laptop is connected directly to the Panasonic, after quite a while it returns a message " Cannot find a device in this home network". This has completely thrown me!

So where do I lokk next?

Quote Originally Posted by Laz Baz View Post
    Cannot find a device in this home network". This has completely thrown me! So where do I lokk next?
    Your networking matter is outside the range of this Forum. The solution largely depends on your setup of your network. I suspect the PC and the Panasonic should be connected (with Ethernet leads) via main router or hub. Your aim is simply to use a hardwired network rather than relying on TP-Link.

Thank you all for your input.

I hope this will be of some use to those interested.

I connected the BDT110 directly to the hub with ethernet cable and did the same with the laptop.

The playback of the videos behaved exactly the same as before with the TP-Link connection.

This tells me that the Panasonic BD player is not capable of handling the data-rate to reproduce the video. I will have to have another device that can handle the data-rate.

I hope I am correct in my conclusion. (although I am assuming the ethernet cables are not at fault)

Please feel free to comment.

Kind regards

William