Thread: Do I need to convert mp4 video for playing on tv?

Default Do I need to convert mp4 video for playing on tv?

Hi Guys, I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times so please be patient with me.

Over the years I have created a few holiday sideshows including video and photographs. I did everything with windows movie maker which had its problems but I always got some sort of result in the end. After creating the movie file I used power producer to convert the movie file for playing on tv.

Movie maker doesn't work with mp4 so I got Any Video Converter ultimate, I've edited all my video files and converted them to a few other formats but none have produced a quality which was viewable.

What am I doing wrong? After editing what should I convert them to, if at all. Once I have completed the job what format should it be burned to disk for viewing and best quality.

If there was a recommendation for software for making this type of job easy, I would be only too pleased to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
    mark

Hello Mark and Welcome to the forum.

I used to have exactly the same problem. Until I was introduced to Freemake Video converter Burning DVD's is now a breeze.

Simply download the free programme. Select Video from the top tool bar it will open your video folder, choose the videos you want to copy and click insert, either just one or as many as you can get on the disk, then insert a DVD into your drive and click DVD on the bottom tool bar. You can join them all together or leave separate. The programme also gives the option to shut down your PC When finished Burning.

Hope this helps. Please post back and let us know how you get on.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. However all is not solved yet!! With movie maker it gives you a timeline where you can add video then photos, a little more video, more photos and so on and so forth. On top of this you can add audio (music Mp3's) which means you are not listening to the same track for 20 mins. So far I've edited and converted all 14 clips of video which total around 15 mins to dvd PAL 720x576 mpeg2video. With Freemake, I think, after considerable poking around you can only play 1 track and the placing of photos are as one batch. So I would have 15 mins of video and then 150 photos with one track playing over the top. Movie Maker doesn't like the mpeg 2 format and keeps hanging and not responding.

Is there anything else that I can try that you are aware of.

Thanks
    Mark

Hi Mark

Movie maker while good, does have its limitations. It only recognizes and works in its .wmv format and nothing else. You should finish up with one complete .wmv file for the whole movie. Then Freemake will convert the whole thing to DVD For you. As I understand it you have converted to MPEG2 then tried to edit in Movie maker, it wont work.

When you open Movie maker are any of the original video and photo files available in .wmv? If so just edit these clips make up your complete movie, then render it, import into freemake from your video folder and click DVD. Job done.

The other thing is a free video editor which can cope with most formats but lets try this first.

Quote Originally Posted by Greerso View Post
    So I would have 15 mins of video and then 150 photos with one track playing over the top.
    If the software only lets you use one audio track, then you could use a simple Audio program (e.g. For Windows, 'Audacity') to append all your original audio tracks; and then export them to a single audio file (which thus contains all your original audio tracks).
    The other advantages of doing this, it that it allows you set any gaps (pauses) between the songs, or perhaps to cleverly create an audio transition between the tracks (like DJ's do).

Thanks Guys for your advice. I have all the video edited as I said, could I convert these to .wmv and then convert to DVD without loosing what quality I have?

Mark

Freemake will convert to .wmv. if you want.( Bottom tool bar). Though if you just import your edited video file into freemake it should convert it straight to DVD for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    Freemake will convert to .wmv. if you want.( Bottom tool bar). Though if you just import your edited video file into freemake it should convert it straight to DVD for you.
    I was using Appgeeker Video Converter a couple of years ago,
    Convert WMV to MP4 & MP4 to WMV with original quality on Mac

Almost every format known to civilised man.