Thread: getting in

Default getting in

hello i am a media graduate looking to break into the television industry. I have done lots of running jobs in the past but they have not led to anything. I am now in a position where I can no longer take a running job as the salary is too low. So I am going to try the video editing route. What is the best way to start. I am a complete novice but I would like to give it a go. Do I need to do a course or can I teach myself. And how do you secure your first paid job? I would welcome any advice? Thanks!!!

You've highlighted a big problem with the industry, taking dead end running jobs for no money.

So you want to get into video editing? The first thing you have to ask yourself is what type of editing, will you be happy editing weddings and corporate videos? Or are you trying to break into TV or film editing?

The first 2 are easier so I'll talk about them first, first off you'll need a decent computer and preferably an extra screen. Then you'll need to choose your software, I recommend Premiere Pro. Then a crash course will help you establish the basics, but then you'll need practice to get better.

The easiest way to get practice is to either shoot the footage you're going to edit yourself or hook up with some of your old student mates and edit some of their footage, watch tutorials on the web and when you see a video you like, try and recreate the style and effect.

As far as your first paying job is concerned, you'll need to build a showreel which demonstrates that you're a good editor and that you can handle a variety of jobs, it's not a quick process, but nothing worth it ever is.

If you're trying to break into TV and or film, then it's a lot more skivvy work as you try and break in as an edit assistant, however you're much more likely to get a position like that if you're a graduate from an editing degree course. Avid is still the film industry standard so you'd have to learn that, there are less jobs and more competition for film and TV land so I'd suggest you take the wedding, music video, corporate video route.

The other way into film and TV land is to edit student and low budget documentaries and short films, bear in mind that just because someone hasn't got a budget, doesn't mean they'll settle for a complete amateur.

Video Production Services Company UK London

Quote Originally Posted by torchx View Post
    hello i am a media graduate looking to break into the television industry. I have done lots of running jobs in the past but they have not led to anything. I am now in a position where I can no longer take a running job as the salary is too low. So I am going to try the video editing route. What is the best way to start. I am a complete novice but I would like to give it a go. Do I need to do a course or can I teach myself. And how do you secure your first paid job? I would welcome any advice? Thanks!!!
    Bottom-line advice: Don't quit your day job, just yet!