Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Achieving This Effect

Default Need Help Achieving This Effect

Hello all..

I am new to editing videos, and I'm trying to learn some new tricks. I wish I knew what this effect was called, but I have no idea how to go about creating it. In the first video, right when the drums come in on the song, you see the video "stutter." A similar effect is used in the Kanye West "Can't Tell Me Nothing" video. Randomly, the the image "stutters" with the music. It looks really cool, and I'm hoping some of you could help me create the same effect. I'm sorry if I don't know the basic terminology to describe this effect. "Stutter" is the the closest word I could think of to describe it.

Thank you!

I recommend you look closely to understand why the picture appears to 'stutter'. You might see that during those periods, a new image is superimposed over the original. In this instance, it looks as if the superimposed image is the same as the original except that it (a) only contains one color of the original RBG, and (b) is offset from the original by a few pixels.
    You have not said what software you are using. If your video editing software does not have a filter to extract colours; then I suspect the superimosed image could be created using any standard Graphics application.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I recommend you look closely to understand why the picture appears to 'stutter'. You might see that during those periods, a new image is superimposed over the original. In this instance, it looks as if the superimposed image is the same as the original except that it (a) only contains one color of the original RBG, and (b) is offset from the original by a few pixels.
    You have not said what software you are using. If your video editing software does not have a filter to extract colours; then I suspect the superimosed image could be created using any standard Graphics application.
    Sorry, I figured the technique would be the same in every software. I'm using Vegas Pro 10. I noticed that, but I don't understand how they stripped the image by its colors. I know how to change the hue and whatnot in photoshop, but not exactly how to strip the R, B or G out. Any ideas?

Thanks for your response.

There are some very experienced Vegas users in these Forums. Many questions receive answers at Sony Vegas and Media Studio (but a kindly admin might move this thread there).

I appreciate that you know how to "change the hue and whatnot in photoshop". More advanced details of whatnot are described here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Many questions receive answers at Sony Vegas and Media Studio (but a kindly admin might move this thread there).
    No sooner suggested ...
    Tim

Blog Entries

OK - here's a shot in Vegas, using TimA's excellent analysis.

1. Put a copy of the video on video tracks 2,3 & 4 and make these all child tracks of track 1. (The reason for this will be clear later)
    2. Drop a "Sony Channel Blend" FX onto the video event on track 2and choose the "Red Only" preset. (The event on track 2 now contains only the Reds)
    3. Drop a "Sony Channel Blend" FX onto the video event on track 3 and choose the "Green Only" preset (the event on track 3 now contains only the Grens).
    4. Use pan and crop or track motion to move the images on the events on tracks 2 & 3 a few pixels left & right.
    5. Reduce the opacity of the event on track 2 to something around 33% (so we can see the green only track below it)
    6. Reduce the opacity of the event on track 3 to something around 66% (so we can see the "all colours" track below it.
    7. Play with your pan and crop (or track motion) and opacities until you get the look you want.

This gives the right effect, but you end up with green and red strips down each edge, right?

That's where track 1 comes into play. Use "parent Track motion" on that track to zoom in on the image enough to remove these edges.

Clearly with most of the video not requireing this effect, you'll still need one track (100% opacity) as a child and the parent track, so it has the same amount of zooming in.

You may like to experiment with replacing one of the tracks with "Blue Only" or a mix colour of your choice. Or you could make the bottom track "Blue only"

Hope that helps get you started.

Fill yer boots!!
    Tim

OK . . . .

The FX that is being applied here is to mimic an attempt to re-correct badly SET 3-D.

You can get close to this effect by firstly setting your Project Settings to one of the Anaglyptic Magenta<>Green combos. Have a Play with that, BUT and here's the thing to really get that zappy look, apply the SONY Stereoscopic 3D Adjust FX. In there you can fiddle and diddle to your hearts content. You can Animate adjustments and if you're wanting too to even Marker BEAT to the music bed you have.

See what you think.

. . . . . 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    The FX that is being applied here is to mimic an attempt to re-correct badly SET 3-D.
    That never occurred to me. Never played with 3D, but I see what you mean.
    I had a quick play and this would certainly be an easier method, but what I did notice was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    You can get close to this effect by firstly setting your Project Settings to one of the Anaglyptic Magenta<>Green combos.
    That really seems to desaturate the image. Is that what you'd expect?
    Tim

Wow, thanks! I'm already seeing what I was hoping to get!

I'm going to try your method next Grazie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast