Thread: Little bit of rubbish

Lightbulb Little bit of rubbish

User Videos You've finally mastered the art of video editing and you're...

No I haven't, but anyways this is only 1m22s long, so it's worth a look over a cup of tea

No quality here, just some footage from a festival we went to last week.

Mission for me was to make something fast and up tempo, because I am fully aware of peoples attention spans. Pretty soon a film will have to be a 10 second brain meld before anyone will bother to watch it.

I've spent days on videos and they still have 46 views a year later. I made this one deliberatly short and timely... it's had 6 views! That's nothing to do with crap quality, they ain't seen it have they?

So that's the real issue - the film is just something for you to do whilst you formulate your opinion.

I prefer to ask questions than give answers - it's a lot easier

Generator Music Festival August 2012 - YouTube

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I've spent days on videos and they still have 46 views a year later.
    I'd rather have 46 people who all watche dto the end than 50,000 who start watching but give up after 10 secs, so I wouldn't worry too much (unless stats show they all give up after 10 secs!)

As for this film, I loved the quirky music. The video needed it because it sort of matched the wobbliness of the shots! I loved the opening. I kept watching because (a) I liked the aforementioned quirky music (b) I was wondering where it was going to go and, if I'm honest, (c) because I knew it was only 1:22.

Unfortunately it didn't go anywhere. I was really hoping for a narrative or a punchline.

Your YouTube blurb says it's your experience of the festival. From looking at that video I got the impression that you had a laugh sitting around in tents. I presume this is a music festival. Some shots of crowds enjoying bands would probably put this across better than the odd still photo.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-14-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Tim

I watched it. All. Twice.

I get the feeling that the video is "I went to a festival, and by the way, I shot some video", which is different to "there was a festival, this is what it was like".
    As the occasion was of not of profound worldwide historical interest; then the attention span for a viewer (who does not know the festival, or anyone related) is likely to be low.
    I think a viewer's attention span may be heavily related to their interest in the subject. It is still possible to create videos which will retain the viewer's interest for over 90 mins.
    Having said that, most viewers of my clips give up after only a few seconds.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 08-14-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

Lol, thanks guys for your time and comments -

yes it was a "I went to a festival, and by the way, I shot some video", I thought doing something with what I had was better than doing nothing with it, hence the uptempo challenge.

and yes "Some shots of crowds enjoying bands would probably put this across better than the odd still photo", but there was a video cam ban on filming, (despite being a small festy), so I kept it to our experience only.

and since I wrote that quirky music - I laughed at those comments Tim

But turns out the organisers have since written to me saying how impressed they are with the video, (more probably because very few would bother formulating any video at all, which I knew all along of course), and they would like me to work on a structured promo video for them in December.

I tend to focus on untrodden pathways such as this, and see chances that may come from a little bit of effort, (which at worst is learning and experience). The small people appreciate positive input, there's no point being scared to get involved off your own bat, and now I have a decent project task to aim for. I'm trying the same strategy on a mainstream band - I'll let you know how I get on.

So there you go, a little bit of rubbish can go a long way

Blog Entries

and since I wrote that quirky music - I laughed at those comments Tim
    I was pretty sure you wrote it when I made the comments. It was intended as a compliment. I hope you took it that way.

But turns out the organisers have since written to me saying how impressed they are with the video, (more probably because very few would bother formulating any video at all, which I knew all along of course), and they would like me to work on a structured promo video for them in December.
    So there you go, a little bit of rubbish can go a long way
    Excellent stuff!
    Tim

Of course Tim, I often get called quirky, it explains why I never satisfy the mainstream - but I don't care lol.