Thread: "Dead Loop" home made trailer

1. Wink "Dead Loop" home made trailer

Hello,

This forum looks perfect for me and I will certainly make the effort to comment on some other peoples videos.

I am very good at writing books but not very good at making videos (or very new to it anyway!)
    I have cobbled together a video trailer for my novels using Movie maker and a few photos / effects / transitions and it was a real learning experience to a beginner movie maker.

I am hoping for some general feedback on my video.
    Things I thought about whilst making it were:
    • is the length about right?
    • does the content keep the watcher interested?
    • have I kept things like sounds effects and transitions too simple?
    • do the still shots garner interest?
    • is the content sufficiently intriguing to make someone interested in learning more?
    • is the blurring / greyscale and close ups of the person an effective technique?
    • does it look amateurish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f23RVeoHdJ4

I would welcome any feedback positive or negative.

thanks!

Jason

Blog Entries

Tricky. I'll have a go ...

• is the length about right? - Probably too long
    • does the content keep the watcher interested? - No. Along list (10 things ...) never works in my opinion.
    • have I kept things like sounds effects and transitions too simple?. No. Simple is good.
    • do the still shots garner interest? As mentioned before there are too many and we lose interest.
    • is the content sufficiently intriguing to make someone interested in learning more? It might be if I had't lost interest.
    • is the blurring / greyscale and close ups of the person an effective technique? Yes.
    • does it look amateurish? Yes.

Unfortunately I don't have any really useful pointers. I'm not a marketeer. Whilst I like a simple typeface, the titles semed too simple. They looked very much "stuck on top" rather than part of the presentation.
    I can't say it's tempte me to buy the book. But there again I've never been tempted to buy a book by a video!

I don't think it's a bad effort, but I'm sure it undersells your book.
    Tim

3. Default

interesting, thats very useful feedback.
    Thanks!

4. Default Feebdack appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
    interesting, thats very useful feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
    Thanks!

Any more feedback would be much obliged!
    Best wishes

I believe Tim covered it all very well (as usual! Listen to TIM!! Listen to TIM ). The pictures list was really bad! Sorry. Not even visually close one to another, I mean, it looks like you grabed images from Google and just used them.

The B&W closeups were good, so maybe you could use them a bit more... or stay with just them and erase the pictures. Mixing colour and B&W demands more planning I believe. There must be more connection among scenes. If the pictures were B&W???? Maybe...

I like some transitions from colour to B&W on the same scene but, again, needs planning and relation to the mood of the scene. Quite common on fashion videos for example.

Yes, it looks amateurish because there is no main style. Its a mix of very different things.

Try to reduce to 30 to 45 seconds! Its a good exercise in choosing what is really important. You will enjoy the results, believe me!

Welcome,
    I discovered rather late this is an advertisement for books . . or is that part of the story?
    (you say you're good at writng books, so this is your "promo"...? Maybe that's it. (Thicko here)).

I thought the quality of moving images wasn't up to the stills, which I agree with Others look like they are off the Internet. But then you might have difficulty finding your own photos...

I guess that's the problem, being new to moving images and editing . . . it might be far easier to get a professional to make the promo and you give them some thumbnails sketches (in words) of the separate parts you wish to cover.
    Technically:
    I would have liked simple fade-transitions so there is a joining of the 10 "items" - but agree that 10 is rather too many. Politicians limit their Case to 3, so maybe fewer would have greater impact - and the audience will frorget the earlier ones unless they are "stacked" e.g. in a faded list on-screen (like a small box containing 10 single words).

Maybe though as it's a trilogy, then each ....is rather fewer in number...but then I'm not sure where the Trilogy fits in after watching... maybe a shot of the books + people actually reading would help to make the pitch "real". All I see that's real is is a web address to purchase . . . possibly that viewing-time could be better used, dunno. Marketeer needed?

Yet it's a Brave attempt.....keep up the good work.