Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So they listened to Rob

Blog Entries

Default So they listened to Rob

Seems like Kim Gavin and MD David Arnold paid heed to our very own Rembrandt Rob when choosing the music for the closing ceremoy. A mix of stuff, but considerably more that the athletes may relate to. I was a litte disappointed that FatBoy Slim didn't rise to he occasiion and take up my suggestion of mixing "One Day Like This" and "Hey Jude", but at least we got Elbow live with full orchestra and choral backng.

I can't say all the youngster's music appealed to me - I preferred Tinie Tempah when he was still known as Small Strop - but that was surely the point - something for eveyone.

One thing I think it did miss was a celebration of British classical music. This needn't have been high brow - a five or ten minute medly of our favourite "Last Night of the Proms" tunes would have been recognisable to virtually all.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Don't forget Tim that the Olympics aren't for old farts like us but for the athletes, so a "best of" Last Night of the Proms would mean little to Lithuanian teenagers!

I also wondered about "Elbow" and "Fatboy Slim". Hmmm...

A reasonable effort (though obviously not as good as the opening) so at least Lundun dun good.

We had everything but the Spice Girls, Oh hang on we did have the Spice Girls.

Was is it really Liam that sang Wonder Wall, it seemed more like a look a like than the real thing ? I was really pleasantly surprise by how good Jessy J was. All that and The Who did really good.

A great part night.

Edit:
    I'll be signing off for a week or so, I catch the red eye tonight so look after the place while I'm away.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Have a good one...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Was is it really Liam that sang Wonder Wall, it seemed more like a look a like than the real thing ?
    Indeed, the one thing in Beady Eye that didn't sound like Oasis was LG!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Don't forget Tim that the Olympics aren't for old farts like us but for the athletes, so a "best of" Last Night of the Proms would mean little to Lithuanian teenagers!
    ...but would have meant a lot to our own athletes, who seem to have been a real patriotic bunch. I venture to suggest it would have meant more to them than Waterloo Sunset or Baba O'Reilly (much as an old fart like me love both) or even Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. 5-10 mins out of 3 hours was all I was suggesting, but I'm certainly not being Mr Grumpy about it.
    Tim

Would have been nice if Bowie had been there in person!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

I got bored very quickly; and not 'enjoy' any of the music. It was entirely unclear (to me) who (if anyone) was actually performing (playing or singing) 'live'. Because of that, the show felt like Top of the Pops (a show which I never enjoyed). I appreciate that everyone playing live would have been technically difficult, but a mimed song seems at odds with the realism of the athletes performance.
    I was surprised to see video clips of deceased performers being used in a sing-along. Whilst I am sure this will be done many times in the future; I find it slightly macabre.
    Whilst some performers were unknown to me, I did feel that their songs went on for too long; and this limited references to alot of the other music from the past 50 years.
    I am, of course, just a bore who found many aspects of the games to be unethical, arrogant and undesirable; so please feel free to ignore this post.

And, in case the organisers are reading this - if you intend doing it again, I urge you to visit these Forums to get some advice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I am, of course, just a bore who found many aspects of the games to be unethical, arrogant and undesirable; so please feel free to ignore this post.
    I'd love to ignore your opinion, Tim, but that would be unethical, arrogant and undesirable of me
    Tim

Enjoyed it but not as much as the openning ..... loved Nimrod so much ..hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

personally I think they should of ended on queen!!!

But I was entertained by Jessie J nice bum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast