Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Video Editing software to use?

1. Default Which Video Editing software to use?

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the world of video editing, having dabbled a bit in the past with making a few videos for YouTube to record bike rides. I'm looking to take it up as a hobby and learn how to make better more creative videos. I have a few cameras and love buying new and second hand cameras to play around with, always on the look out for new ones to try! The problem I have is with the video editing side of things.. I'm a Linux user, so there's not as much choice for professional software as there is for Windows..the software I've tried in Linux isn't very good it has to be said. It doesn't work too reliably (OpenShot being the main one) and either crashes often, or produces not very good quality output.

I'm prepared to use Windows XP or Vista and have a Toshiba Portege R500 laptop which has a firewire port and SD card slot, so that might be ideal for video editing..but I could also use my desktop on dual boot which has 4GB ram and dual-core, so I think I got the hardware side of things covered?

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any editing software? I'd prefer something easy to use to start out with, so not too complicated. My main requirements are really the ability to produce decent looking text titles, scrolling credits, and scene transitions (fade in/out and scene blend etc). I have Windows Movie Maker which I've used a bit with mixed results, and I also discovered an old disc called Ulead Media Studo Video 2.5 Edition which I've installed today, but not yet tried out. It looks pretty decent but only supports mpg format video. I'm sure there's much newer version of that software, and wondered if anyone rates it?

As to my cameras.. I have:

Panasonic NV-RX1B (VHS-C, really old tech)
    Samsung VP-D453 (CCD) MiniDV camera (has SD card slot and firewire, external mic port)
    Toshiba Camileo S10 (HD)
    Vado 3rd Gen (HD) (external mic port)
    Canon IXUS40 (only 640x480 but shoots nice video)
    Canon PowerShot A550 (only 640x480)

So any tips or suggestions on software appreciated! Windows or Linux, I don't mind.
    Last edited by amorphix; 08-12-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Give this a try

http://www.kdenlive.org/

3. Default

Thanks I tried that one, in fact I've tried all of the Linux software pretty much... I don't know whether i've just been unlucky with my computer or distro (Ubuntu) but everything I've tried is unstable and unreliable, or just not very easy to use. The best results I had from OpenShot which seems to be comparable to some of the professional Windows packages, but it's very unreliable and locks up or crashes regularly on my computer.

Maybe I should try compiling it and see if that improves things.

Have you tried LightWorks? That has a long history and is (I understand) available for Linux.
    The free version does SD but for fancy Codecs you need to buy the Pro-Version.

It's not an "Easy" program IMHO, but has all the features you will need - particulrly if you want to use a Keyboard to create shortcuts.....I understand many users find this separates it from the usual Consumer stuf.

However, for direct to YouTube you might be better off with a cheap consumer product....under Windows...... but avoid Magix Easy......there, that's my shot.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Have you tried LightWorks? That has a long history and is (I understand) available for Linux.
    The free version does SD but for fancy Codecs you need to buy the Pro-Version.

It's not an "Easy" program IMHO, but has all the features you will need - particulrly if you want to use a Keyboard to create shortcuts.....I understand many users find this separates it from the usual Consumer stuf.

However, for direct to YouTube you might be better off with a cheap consumer product....under Windows...... but avoid Magix Easy......there, that's my shot.
    Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Assuming you can get your software sorted, you have a few bits of kit that maybe won't be that useful? The VHS camera needs connecting to something to get it's composite video output into the PC - and even if you buy a capture device - the quality of the image is pretty poor by DV standard. Same thing with those other camera sources - once you start expanding them to fit the video frame, the lack of quality will be very evident.
    Yes that's true indeed. I don't really use the old VHS-C camera but have kept it just because I like collecting old technology, something of an obssession (you should see all the junk I have, especially old computers!) I think I will be using mostly the HD pocket cameras, my Toshiba and Vado, and maybe the Samsung MiniDV if the quality is ok else I will buy another MiniDV camera...I've only looked at the film quality from the Samsung from its memory card recording mode and it's not very good at all, even my Canon IXUS looks better at 640x480 VGA! I'm waiting for a firewire cable so I can test out the MiniDV tape quality which I hear is a lot better than mpeg compressed.. I actually did a comparison video yesterday of all my main cameras:

4 Cameras Compared (Lossless Upload Version) - YouTube

Not very well done and the Samsung part was a bit too short, but it does give some idea of the video quality! It's surprising that some cameras quite old can produce fairly reasonable video quality like the IXUS40 which is not even intended for video-making as it's primary use being a digital camera...low res is ok at small window size but once you go to full-screen mode you soon notice the difference between low res and HD eh!

7. Default

I installed it again and used it yesterday to make a short video! It's a lot better than I remember it and has all the features I need in a video editing software. It did crash on me twice though!! I have to get into the habit of keep saving after every change I make. The other thing that niggles me is making/editing titles and adding/removing transitions and effects, it doesn't seem very intutitive, but I guess I need to read the manual and just practice to get the hang of it. The output quality was very good though and it did render videos very quickly on my dual-core 4GB workstation.

8. Default Windows lack of video support

I was messing aorund yesterday testing out my cameras and was surprised that Windows (XP) would not even recognise or play the video files (.mp4, .avi, .mov) from three of my cameras. Neither would Windows Movie Maker allow the video formats would be imported. I moved to Linux and had no problem at all playing them.

I recommend highly the windows computer, and you have specs to run Sony Vegas decently at least. And Sony Vegas is really easy to use once you learn the basics, and youtube is full of basic tutorials and I can help also if you need help. But yeah I don't know if this works on linux but on windows it does.

Vegas is Windows only, (uunless anyone knows different).... and the recent version will send directly to YouTube provided you can supply a YT account number.
    Windows Movie Maker is SD-only, which may explain why it won't work with newer vid files.
    However, you can download Windows Live Movie Maker (free for Win7), however, from experience its limitations do not make Editing easy, should you want to impose your ideas on the footage.
    Vegas Studio is in v12 now, but the v11 id readily available for 32-bit Win. The Pro-version is MUCH more money and does have soem extra features, but the Studio version is something of a bargain.

You'll need a quad-core PC for HD footage if the Render-times aren't to drive you potty.
    There are many other Editors which perform much the same functions, at all sorts of prices.
    You pays yr money . . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast